Querying a new agent at the agency that dropped me in 1998

khanwong

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but I'll give it a go.

Back in 1997, I was signed by my dream agent at that time. We got along really well, and she effusively loved my writing, but it quickly became clear she wasn't as familiar with my genre (scifi) as I would have liked. In any case, the book didn't sell, and she asked for my next book; she liked the writing, but didn't get the concept, and dropped me as a client (via fax!).

Her agency is still going strong, and there is a new, younger agent working there who would be great for what I'm writing now. So my question is, is it okay for me to query the new agent at this agency that dropped me 22 years ago? I don't know if the agent that dropped me would even remember me at this point.

I stopped writing after these events, stopped pursuing representation and publication--all of it--and only picked it up again in 2017. There's more to why I quit than just this, but those details are not relevant to this question. Anyway, what do you think?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to do this. What's the worst case scenario?

My suspicion is they have no record of the past association, or if they do it won't come into the picture at all. Perhaps it could, or should, but that's for someone more experienced than me to say.

But you should be fine to query that new agent. It's been 23 years. :)

Anecdotally--I received a rejection on a Wednesday once, and the very next day the same agent (the same individual, less than 24 hours later) requested my manuscript on a pit-mad contest. That's one indication of what's going on with these agents--they're very busy, don't keep track of all the stuff... for whatever reason.

So, personally, I think with a new agent 23 years later you should be fine. :) :) :)

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think we can safely presume that even if the agency keeps records obsessively, knowing exactly who you are, the fact that you're querying a different agent there a great many years later means you won't get anything less than a fair read of your query and any attachments they want.

After all, writers grow and change and get stronger as the decades pass.

Maryn, lone exception

khanwong

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Woollybear, for your response. I'm leaning toward going for it...it's just that my former agent is still there--it's her agency! I didn't make that detail clear in my original post. But in any case the worst that can happen is another rejection. Part of me is worried the former agent will remember me and be like "not that guy again!" Since it's her agency I imagine she has veto power, but I don't really know how all that works.

khanwong

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn! Thanks for chiming in. I didn't see your response when I posted my response for some reason. What you say makes sense and I think I will just go for it. The former agent in question is the boss at this agency -- it's her agency, her name on the door. That's really what was driving my question, if it was just a matter of different agents at the same place it wouldn't have been a question for me.

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter. What's the worst thing that can happen? They turn you down? If so, what have you lost?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The agent loved your writing. She probably remembers with regret that she couldn't sell it. I cannot see anything but a positive reception for you if you approach them.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
(For the record, I know this post is old, but HEY I'M CHIMING IN ANYWAY!) -- I actually rep a client who was the client of my boss 20+ years ago. She did TELL me that before I signed her, and I told my boss - - my boss has never been anything but completely supportive and pleased that it has worked out. She remembered the client fondly and is excited that she is finding success.

Unless the split was bizarre/acrimonious or something (which does NOT sound like it was the case) -- I bet the boss would be somewhere in the range of "don't care/fine with it" to "charmed/delighted" and not in any way disturbed if the new agent loves the work and wants to sign you.