• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[epub] Rambunctious Books

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Rambunctious Books, or had any experience with them? They offer a distribution service for self-published authors (Romance / Crime / Fantasy / YA / Sci-Fi, novels & novellas). Basically you send them your epub/mobi, they select the ones they like, then pay the author a fixed amount per title so they can distribute the books to their readers (up to a limited number of downloads, I think I saw 100 in the ad). Those readers then pay RB a monthly fee to be part of the scheme (£4.99 for 3 books a month).

I guess the attraction for readers is a monthly supply of books from new authors, but which have already been through a selection process. And as an author you get payment, plus 100 readers you wouldn't otherwise have had.

Right now though I haven't seen any indication of how much that author payment actually is (a warning sign perhaps?). It will almost certainly be less than you would have got by simply waiting for 100 paying customers to find and purchase your work. I'm tempted to say an author would be better off putting their efforts into marketing and get 100 of their own sales that way. But then if your chosen marketing method would be free giveaways, or ads with a price tag, then this scheme at least gets you something while increasing your readership.

Any thoughts?

T.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
(moved from Self-Publishing)

"Imprint" Harlequin Pearl(!): https://harlequinpearl.com/

Owner professes a career in publishing, but there's no trace of her.

Last edited:

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I would think Harlequin Books would take issue with that?

Oh, I’d say so.

Okay, so I got curious—there are only three books listed before you have to click on the “sign up” button. I clicked on it and they told me they were closed to new customers. It all seems a bit dodgy. If they really want people to pay to access their books wouldn’t they SHOW readers what books they’ll have access to?