Some small successes

Bobby

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bobthewriter.com
Over the last 10-12 months, I've been lucky to have some minor successes, and I wanted to share them. Not sure if it will come across as bragging, but that's not how it's meant. I'm just happy that my writing work seems to be trending upward.

So here goes: 1) had a creative nonfic piece published in online mag Human Parts (https://humanparts.medium.com/second-line-3a2d9b65e666); 2) began querying more seriously; 3) finished the first draft of a novel i'd previously abandoned; 4) sold a short story for the first time in quite a while (you can read it here: https://t.co/tzr4ZK52ps?amp=1); 5) sold another short story, which will be published within the next month or so; 6) made my first international sale; 7) wrote 8 new short stories; 8) performed at a virtual "Noir at the Bar" event with a well-regarded novelist, a Hollywood screenwriter, and a couple of Edgar winners.

That's a pretty good writing year for a time when the world has basically been on fire. I keep thinking about quitting, thinking that I'm not having a whole hell of a lot of success. But then when I started really looking at what I've done over the past several months, it seems like I'm gathering some good momentum. I may not have a book deal (yet), or have a bestseller if/when I do. I don't have a Netflix series. But what I *have* accomplished still feels good.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on all those accomplishments! I think it's sometimes important to write down all the things that have gone well with writing. It's so easy to feel like you're not moving forward or some days to just hate what you're writing and think, what's the point? The successes feel great when they come but for some reason can be quickly forgot or brushed aside when a piece doesn't do well or someone else achieves something you want.

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll move forward with your goal. The most important thing is too enjoy what you're doing, though taking stock of the successes can certainly help with making all that time, work and creativity you've poured in feel worth it!

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
That's fantastic, thanks for sharing! I think we can all use good news, and for some of us the vicarious good news experience is really needed right now.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bobby, we're pleased on your behalf, and we hope you're enjoying the ride.

Maryn, not even submitting these days, yet content

Goshawk31

Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! Keep moving forward and sharing ... it helps us all.