Trump attempts to fire US attorney investigating his finances

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/heathercoxrichardson/posts/2318512968292756?__tn__=K-R

Heather Cox Richardson said:
Tonight saw a Friday night news dump that will go into the history books.

Trump tried to fire the US Attorney from the Southern District of New York, Geoffrey S. Berman, who has managed a series of cases against Trump and his allies, including Trump fixer Michael Cohen, Trump lawyer Rudolph Giuliani, and Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, who were indicted for funneling Russian money to Republican candidates for office. Berman is reported to be investigating Trump’s finances, among many other things.

It happened like this: Attorney General William Barr issued a statement announcing that Berman would be stepping down and that Trump would nominate Jay Clayton to replace him. Clayton has never been a prosecutor. He is currently the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission, but before he took that position he was a lawyer who, among other things, represented Deutsche Bank. Deutsche Bank is the only bank that would work with Trump after his bankruptcies. It might have given him loans he did not repay, and the Russian money-laundering that landed the bank in legal trouble might have helped Trump.

Legal analyst and Congressional staffer Daniel Goldman noted that this whole scenario was unusual. Normally, when a US Attorney leaves, that person’s deputy takes over. Bringing in a replacement from elsewhere meant that “Trump/Barr did not want anyone at SDNY running the office—likely because there was a serious disagreement.”

But then things got crazier. Berman issued his own statement, saying “I learned in a press release from the Attorney General tonight that I was ‘stepping down’ as United States Attorney. I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate. Until then, our investigations will move forward without delay or interruption. I cherish every day that I work with the men and women of this Office to pursue justice without fear or favor—and intend to ensure that this Office’s important cases continue unimpeded.”

What’s Berman saying? Well, it might be that Trump’s preference for “acting,” rather than Senate-confirmed, officials has come back to bite him. Berman was not Senate-confirmed; he is an interim U.S. Attorney. By law, the Attorney General can appoint an interim U.S. Attorney for 120 days. At the end of that time, the court can appoint that person indefinitely.

Berman was one of those interim appointees, put in place by Trump’s first Attorney General, Jefferson Beauregard Sessions.

Berman’s appointment raised an outcry because he was handpicked by Trump. The U.S. Attorney for the SDNY oversees Manhattan and thus the president’s businesses and at least nine Trump properties. Trump went out of his way to take the unusual step of personally interviewing Berman, who donated $2,700 to the Trump campaign, served on the presidential transition team, and was a partner at the law firm where Trump’s lawyer Rudolph Giuliani is a member. Democrats vowed to block Berman’s nomination, but never got the chance because Sessions used the workaround so Berman would not come before the Senate.

Now, this means that because Berman was appointed by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, not the president, he apparently cannot be removed except by the court, or, possibly, by the president… but not by Barr. Lawyers are fighting over who, exactly, can remove Berman, but that itself says that any challenge he files will land in the courts for months… likely until after the election.

As Berman’s predecessor in the job, Preet Bharara tweeted, “Why does a president get rid of his own hand-picked US Attorney in SDNY on a Friday night, less than 5 months before the election?” President of the Center for American Progress Neera Tanden noted: “To attempt a Friday night massacre 5 months before an election means there’s a pretty big investigation they are trying to kill.”

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
The stink must be incredible...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty much an admission of guilt. Not that anything matters anymore, though.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/heathercoxrichardson/posts/2318512968292756?__tn__=K-R
Quote Originally Posted by Heather Cox Richardson
Tonight saw a Friday night news dump that will go into the history books.

Trump tried to fire the US Attorney from the Southern District of New York, Geoffrey S. Berman, who has managed a series of cases against Trump and his allies, including Trump fixer Michael Cohen, Trump lawyer Rudolph Giuliani, and Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, who were indicted for funneling Russian money to Republican candidates for office. Berman is reported to be investigating Trump’s finances, among many other things.

It happened like this: Attorney General William Barr issued a statement announcing that Berman would be stepping down and that Trump would nominate Jay Clayton to replace him. Clayton has never been a prosecutor. He is currently the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission, but before he took that position he was a lawyer who, among other things, represented Deutsche Bank. Deutsche Bank is the only bank that would work with Trump after his bankruptcies. It might have given him loans he did not repay, and the Russian money-laundering that landed the bank in legal trouble might have helped Trump.

Legal analyst and Congressional staffer Daniel Goldman noted that this whole scenario was unusual. Normally, when a US Attorney leaves, that person’s deputy takes over. Bringing in a replacement from elsewhere meant that “Trump/Barr did not want anyone at SDNY running the office—likely because there was a serious disagreement.”

But then things got crazier. Berman issued his own statement, saying “I learned in a press release from the Attorney General tonight that I was ‘stepping down’ as United States Attorney. I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate. Until then, our investigations will move forward without delay or interruption. I cherish every day that I work with the men and women of this Office to pursue justice without fear or favor—and intend to ensure that this Office’s important cases continue unimpeded.”

What’s Berman saying? Well, it might be that Trump’s preference for “acting,” rather than Senate-confirmed, officials has come back to bite him. Berman was not Senate-confirmed; he is an interim U.S. Attorney. By law, the Attorney General can appoint an interim U.S. Attorney for 120 days. At the end of that time, the court can appoint that person indefinitely.

Berman was one of those interim appointees, put in place by Trump’s first Attorney General, Jefferson Beauregard Sessions.

Berman’s appointment raised an outcry because he was handpicked by Trump. The U.S. Attorney for the SDNY oversees Manhattan and thus the president’s businesses and at least nine Trump properties. Trump went out of his way to take the unusual step of personally interviewing Berman, who donated $2,700 to the Trump campaign, served on the presidential transition team, and was a partner at the law firm where Trump’s lawyer Rudolph Giuliani is a member. Democrats vowed to block Berman’s nomination, but never got the chance because Sessions used the workaround so Berman would not come before the Senate.

Now, this means that because Berman was appointed by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, not the president, he apparently cannot be removed except by the court, or, possibly, by the president… but not by Barr. Lawyers are fighting over who, exactly, can remove Berman, but that itself says that any challenge he files will land in the courts for months… likely until after the election.

As Berman’s predecessor in the job, Preet Bharara tweeted, “Why does a president get rid of his own hand-picked US Attorney in SDNY on a Friday night, less than 5 months before the election?” President of the Center for American Progress Neera Tanden noted: “To attempt a Friday night massacre 5 months before an election means there’s a pretty big investigation they are trying to kill.”

[Emphasis, mine.]

I do love when that lot thinks themselves so clever they outsmart their own selves.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's refreshing. All I had seen so far was that Barr ordered Berman out. I had assumed wrongly that Barr had the power to do that.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious what happened between this current guy being (apparently) a hand-picked Trump toady, and now being someone who seems very interested in seeing the wheels of justice roll unmolested. Does that not seem odd to anyone else? I mean, I suppose anyone can be both a craven bootlicker and selfish to their own interests enough to land this position and then continue to be more self-interested in order to fight so to keep it, but the overriding value that Cheetolini places on "loyalty" makes this surprising to me. It must have been clear when he was put there that his main job was "protect the orange baby."

Dare one hope that once he got involved he was like, "Oh, shit, there's so much bad stuff here, I better do my best to stay involved so none of it lands on me"? Or had some sort of change of heart to something resembling morals? I find either very interesting. I haven't been following this super close, though, so I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me as to what I seem to be missing here.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it’s possible that some Republicans supported Trump early in his campaign and term, not really understanding what he was? Some of those people — not sure if this attorney is one — may have agreed with the conservative credo Trump professed to follow, but aren’t on board with the flagrant corruption he really represents.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Also if you look at Berman's history, he's serious about the law. I think he's a genuine fan of the law as applicable to everyone.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
"With great power comes great responsibility"- Spiderman.
Maybe being in a position to actually do something meant something to Berman, and he resolved to rise to the occasion. Especially if he's a lawyer because the law means something to him.
And, being a lawyer, he probably spotted the loophole that makes him so hard to dispose of.:evil

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this was unexpected. And rather strange?

Berman relents, leaves post as US attorney after taking stand against firing

ABC News said:
Geoffrey Berman, who served as the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, said in a statement Saturday evening that he will leave his post "effective immediately."

The statement came soon after President Donald Trump sought to distance himself from the firing of Berman, publicly contradicting a letter sent earlier in the day to Berman by Attorney General William Barr who said Trump removed Berman after Barr requested it.

Berman made clear Saturday evening that he opted to leave office effective immediately because Barr decided to "respect the normal operation of law and have Deputy U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss become Acting U.S. Attorney," instead of Barr’s handpicked replacement, Craig Carpenito.

Earlier in the day, Trump told reporters "I’m not involved" when asked about the firing and said "That’s all up to the attorney general."