Happy to be here!

khanwong

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm Khan, and I'm happy to join this site and looking forward to diving in.

I write SciFi, and am currently querying a space opera. I read primarily SF/F and also popular science and the occasional biography. I just started reading the Tensorate series by JY Yang, and I love N.K. Jemisin, Charlie Jane Anders, Octavia Butler, Ursula K. LeGuin. I loved Blackfish City and look forward to more by that author.

Started writing in 6th grade and pursued it seriously through my 20s. Back in 1997 (when I was 28) I was signed by my dream agent, but the book didn't sell and I was dropped. The experience with the publishers was so disheartening that I stopped writing until three years ago. Since 2017 I've written three novels (I've written 7 novels total in my life). The others are all shelved, and the most recent one is the one I'm querying now.

I would love to beta read, and/or find a critique partner(s) so if you write SciFi, please hit me up. I'd be open to reading low fantasy or urban fantasy, but otherwise not really up for beta reading or critiquing other genres.

As for hobbies, in the time that I wasn't writing I got involved with Burning Man, and became a firedancer and hula hooper and spent over a decade traveling around the world and teaching and performing, and I did a stint with a circus back in 2008/09. The book I'm shopping around now draws, in part, on those experiences. BUT IN SPACE!

Looking forward to meeting more of you and participating more in this community!

TheMontess

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Khan, what an exciting introduction! I also write Science Fantasy/Space Opera, working on my first novel at the moment. Good luck querying :)

Ruby Road

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gheltebridle.wixsite.com
Hi everyone!

As for hobbies, in the time that I wasn't writing I got involved with Burning Man, and became a firedancer and hula hooper and spent over a decade traveling around the world and teaching and performing, and I did a stint with a circus back in 2008/09. The book I'm shopping around now draws, in part, on those experiences. BUT IN SPACE!

Sounds fun. Welcome to the forum.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My life seems pretty tame in comparison, but that's okay. I never could keep a hula hoop going for long.

Welcome to one who can, and then some! I'm also glad to read that you've got your writing mojo back.

Maryn, glad you're here

khanwong

Registered
Reaction score
My life seems pretty tame in comparison, but that's okay. I never could keep a hula hoop going for long.

Welcome to one who can, and then some! I'm also glad to read that you've got your writing mojo back.

Maryn, glad you're here

Thank you! It feels good to be back in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds fun. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you!

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
BUT IN SPACE!

Haha! Instant way to make anything twice as cool.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with publishers. Good luck with your querying, and may your future experiences be more positive.

SundryHen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Khan!

This is a roller coaster of an intro! Very interesting. Your space circus book sounds intriguing, best of luck!

I'm new here as well! I'm Sundry, and I'll be seeing you around.