Weather or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a book that takes place in 1961. How much attention do I have to pay to the actual weather in NYC that year. For instance, there was a major snowstorm in February. Do I need to reference it? One of my scenes takes place on New Year's Eve. Do I need to know what the actual weather was that day (snow, rain, freezing cold) or can I wing it according to my fictional needs.

Averhoes

Registered
Reaction score
I say wing it! Your readers are not going to dig through national weather service archives to find out what exactly the weather was like on (for example) February 3, 1961 in the Bronx

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a book that takes place in 1961. How much attention do I have to pay to the actual weather in NYC that year. For instance, there was a major snowstorm in February. Do I need to reference it? One of my scenes takes place on New Year's Eve. Do I need to know what the actual weather was that day (snow, rain, freezing cold) or can I wing it according to my fictional needs.

It depends on your story and the effect the weather had on your character's activities that day/evening. A quick look shows Ball Drop weather in Central Park on December 31, 1961, was: Temp. 32 degrees w/WC of 11 (brrr), snow, and wind from the SW at 12mph.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always use what the real weather was doing when I write about an actual place and time. At least New York is easier to research than Muncie.

After all, the cold is going to impact characters' behavior--the New Year's Eve crowd is going to want to get very drunk or get inside--and a snowstorm has substantial impact on getting around, including to work, and affects how people are dressed.

Maryn, who rarely closes her coat but does in a windy snowstorm

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I usually try to steer clear of specific historical days for just that reason. That said, I'd try to get it right if the information is available. If it's not, well, then it will be what I need it to be. Within reason. A balmy 60 degree day in winter time NYC isn't going to work.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Generalities will usually win the day, but do enough research to know if something big happened the characters should acknowledge. The novel City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg seems to be a (very well done and highly recommended) steamy disco-era NYC summer tale, until the July 13, 1977 blackout happens. That's something the characters would have noticed, and although the reader might not notice it if not mentioned, once pointed out makes the whole book look silly.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
This is easy research to do: https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ny/new-york-city. Click history and put in your date. I'm like Maryn, but if the weather on a day doesn't seem right for the story, I might look a day or two ahead or behind. It just makes sure you're realistic. December 31 in NYC is often one of the coldest nights of the winter. BTW, you can also get the info for at least one Muncie this way. Just change the location on the site.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Since you're working with a time and setting for which it's extremely easy to find the actual weather on the dates in question, there's no reason not to. It adds a little underscore of Actual Historical Truth to the story. If what you find doesn't match what your story needs, pick a date with weather that suits you better, or obfuscate. (Does the specific date really matter? Or the specific weather? Sometimes, it really doesn't.)

Last edited:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Echoing what others have said. If you pick a specific date, then it's easy enough to find the historical weather data and you should do it because it's there and easy. No reason not to.

On the other hand, there's rarely a need to specify an actual date. If it's the summer, you can say it was a hot summer's day; if it's winter, you can say it was cold. Chances are good there was a hot day in summer or a cold day in the winter. Your reader won't mind if it's June 15 or July 23, December 10 or January 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.