Supreme Court Rules Trump cannot end DACA!

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/su...rump-cannot-end-daca-big-win-dreamer-n1115116

I am so excited to see a second great SCOTUS ruling! This is huge for so many people that I know, I work in a community health center that is Latinx focused.

So many people who's applications were on hold can move forward now. This is a great victory! Obviously there are still a lot of problems with the way we treat immigrants in the immigration system (and outside it but that's off topic from this issue) but thank goodness it won't be made even harder.

I was glad to see the widespread support for Dreamers in the arguments that were made before the court. Arguments about the great value that they bring to the country. Those are part of public record now and hopefully it's one more step toward people admitting that this country needs and should embrace immigrants.

Immigrants make this nation run!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm happy about the ruling but it's too soon to get excited. SCOTUS ruled against Trump because the process he used to rescind DACA was illegal, not because he can't rescind—he can. We still need legislation to protect Dreamers and grant them citizenship. Anything else—including this ruling—is nothing more than a stop-gap or a delay.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yay!!!!!!

:hooray:

What can he do on his own, Ari?

Okay, I see:
Roberts wrote in the decision that the government failed to give an adequate justification for ending the federal program. The administration could again try to shut it down by offering a more detailed explanation for its action, but the White House might not want to end such a popular program in the heat of a presidential campaign.

Slim chance. Maybe he'll try again in his Lame Duck because he's so bent on getting even with Obama.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump and Obama react to SCOTUS decision on DACA

Trump has no clue to the contradiction here:
In President Donald Trump's first reaction to the Supreme Court's ruling on DACA Thursday, he tweeted an attack on the court's "horrible & politically charged decisions" calling them "shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives."

Compare that to Obama's comments:
"Eight years ago this week, we protected young people who were raised as part of our American family from deportation. Today, I'm happy for them, their families, and all of us," Obama said in a tweet. "We may look different and come from everywhere, but what makes us American are our shared ideals."

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Oh yay!!!!!!

:hooray:

What can he do on his own, Ari?

My read is that in essence, he can tell DHS to read the decision and to come back with a directive rescinding DACA that covers SCOTUS' complaints. They basically said his original directive didn't explain why they supposedly needed to end DACA.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My read is that in essence, he can tell DHS to read the decision and to come back with a directive rescinding DACA that covers SCOTUS' complaints. They basically said his original directive didn't explain why they supposedly needed to end DACA.

Can you think of any legit reason for ending DACA? Or even a logical one?

He might try a BS excuse about high unemployment I suppose. That's a bad excuse, however, because a lot of the DACA folks are in essential jobs there is no unemployment for.

And SCOTUS will take so long to hear a new case we'll have a new POTUS by then.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see our dysfunctional congress ending DACA for Trump during this term. Especially during a pivotal election year.

Next term, whichever President we have, will be a new political climate.

These programs are always vulnerable to being defunded / removed, and we should always defend them when they are threatened.
This is still a huge victory. Just because there might be another fight doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate winning this one.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm happy about the ruling but it's too soon to get excited. SCOTUS ruled against Trump because the process he used to rescind DACA was illegal, not because he can't rescind—he can. We still need legislation to protect Dreamers and grant them citizenship. Anything else—including this ruling—is nothing more than a stop-gap or a delay.

This. This was a battle with an unexpectedly good outcome, but the war is far from over.

Still, I know many of my former students, and countless others in their shoes, can breathe a temporary sigh of relief, at least, and that's something to celebrate when victories have been few and far between lately.