Hired an Editor — Do I send the novel I spent years on or my new project?

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! So, I've booked an editor for the first time, but I'm waffling hard on which of two manuscripts to send. The service is a 4-6 page developmental edit letter. My foremost goal is to improve as a writer, the second is to find an agent.

Has anyone been stuck on a first novel and found an editor's feedback helpful? Did that feedback give you new energy for the project? Or was it better to work on improving something new?

Context for my situation:

Manuscript 1: (120k)
- Worked on this one for years, I want it to succeed
- Probably still suffers from some "first book" issues
- I'm spinning my wheels, so I need professional feedback if I want to improve this story further
- I'm a bit burned out on this one; conflicting beta feedback has left me uncertain/confused
- Actively querying and have received some requests

Manuscript 2: (90k)
- New manuscript that's 6 months old
- I have a bit more energy to revise this one
- But, I don't feel like I'm "stuck" or that this novel has issues I can't address (of which I'm aware)
- It might be more marketable for the query trenches
- Didn't repeat my manuscript #1 mistakes

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Honestly, just going by how you've chosen to describe the two MSs, I get the feeling you already know deep down that you should send the newer one, but want someone to give you permission to 'abandon' your first love. :)

But yes, a vote for the second one for me. It seems pretty clear cut.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
What sorts of stories does this editor normally work on? And, can you take the feedback you get and apply it to the other story in general terms?

I'm not asking you to answer these questions but they're the things I'd sort through if I was debating.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
I can understand why you're drawn to asking a professional editor if you've had some conflicting beta feedback. Feedback can be very insightful but not all feedback is equal in value, and you certainly don't have to take the advice from even this editor as gospel. It will be interesting I'm sure to read and see if it compares to feelings beta readers have expressed to you.

From the info you provide, I would say it sounds like you need some more time away from your first book. If you're not feeling inspired to make more edits right now, you definitely need space from it. Doesn't mean you have to let go of the project in the long term, but if you make changes now while you're not feeling it, you could just make yourself more of a problem.

It's great that you've been able to write another book in the meantime. I would suggest focusing on book 2 and making it the best you can while you have that fresh inspiration to do so. Go through the beta feedback process on this one if you haven't already and keep making those edits.

EDIT: to be clear, I think you should send book 2 to the editor but only if/when you've had some beta feedback on it as I do think it's important to get a few different reader's eyes on it first to see what the general feeling for the book is. You can then compare their feedback to the paid one if you do decide to send it to the editor.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, just going by how you've chosen to describe the two MSs, I get the feeling you already know deep down that you should send the newer one, but want someone to give you permission to 'abandon' your first love. :)

But yes, a vote for the second one for me. It seems pretty clear cut.

+ 1. Good, careful editorial feedback is expensive, and very valuable as a learning tool. The new book is the one you're most engaged with, so as a learning experience I think you'll gain more from working on it.

You have checked the editor's credentials, I hope? Anyone can call themselves an editor - price and recommendations by published authors are a good indication.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, this has helped me feel more at peace with making a choice! hjrey hit the nail on the head with beta feedback not all being equal, which was one reason book 1 has left me a bit burned out. And I probably do need some more time away from it (even though it feels like it has been a while now).

For book 2, I have one beta that's 2/3 through and one that's 1/2 through. I don't think either will finish before I submit to the editor, but at least they've helped me make the first half stronger.

You have checked the editor's credentials, I hope? Anyone can call themselves an editor - price and recommendations by published authors are a good indication.

I have! I believe she's legit. This editor was vetted through a Twitter pitch contest for writers (Revise & Resub) and I already received some feedback from her on my first 5 pages and query letter, which was thoughtful and well-organized. She is a member of both Editorial Freelancer's Association and Professional Editor's Network. She also has a couple published author testimonials on her website.

For this developmental edit letter (4-6 pages describing the 4-6 main problems of the manuscript, with examples and suggestions for some issues), the cost is $0.0075/word. Does that seem reasonable? I also "won" 20% off her services from participating in the contest, which helps a bit.

Last edited:

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
The question isn't one that we can answer. You hired an editor. What do you honestly think would benefit from their attention? If you wind up having a good relationship with the editor and want to spend money to have them go over both manuscripts, go ahead and do that if you want to. Whatever you do, if it's a good editor, you will learn a lot of valuable insight from them, just reading what they think about your books. Taken to heart, it will stop you from making the same kinds of mistakes again in the future.

Good luck.