Becoming the best starts with the desk, so what desk do you use?

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
I just had a fitted big-ass plank wedged between 3 walls with some supports. It's over 3 meters long and nearly a meter deep so I can have my drawing tablet and keyboard behind each other and stretch my arms. Cramped desks drive me mad. Half of it is occupied by my computer, the other half by toys and figures. It's very happy that way.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
I have recently joined the "snack tray on the couch" club. Getting a lot more done in those comfy environs, and I actually get to see my family a bit which I think they like. :)

DezDunn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dezareadunn.com
My "desk" is our table. The same table we eat at and my kiddos do homeschool on. My hubby build in a large breakfast nook with shiplap and that has become our gathering place for all things. At any point during the day it will be covered in papers, crayons, electronics and notebooks.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have a desktop and actually do write (and teach from home and game) in my study. I moved my old desk to the garage, because it had these nasty sharp-edged drawers the dogs always got their collars hung up on and panicked when they get their heads stuck between the drawer and my chair whenever they come up to me when I was working. Before we went to get our new puppy, I knew I had to replace the desk so the pup wouldn't break his neck (literally).

So now I have a table I bought on amazon, and there's a file cabinet under it for the office supplies. Like Ravioli, I don't like cramped desks.

I have a laptop too, which I use for travel and as a backup, but I've never been comfortable typing on a laptop. My wrists always rest on the touchpad and cause my cursor to randomly jump around. Plus my laptop screen is too small (I have a big monitor for my desktop) and hard to read, and it's only visible from a particular angle. I've never figured out the art of sitting or lounging on the couch and typing comfortably on a laptop!

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big wooden desk. but it's more about the durability and endurance of the thing than anything else. This is not the type of desk that can easily break. Oak methinks- solid, solid wood. I have my computer and all my various notebooks everywhere. I have another smaller, fordable desk for my typewriter- but I haven't gotten back into using it yet.

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My desk is my lap - my laptop, at least one of my two cats and my recliner. What more could anyone ask for?

BTW, I love fruitcake. :)

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
I have a desk that I found at an auction. It’s an antique school desk that folds open and has a hole for an ink quill. I find the nostalgia of it inspirational. Then, I stuck it in a dark corner of my house under the stairs and I light the space with a single hanging light bulb. It’s cramped and damp, but that pushes me to work hard.

Maddy Knight

Banned
Reaction score
I bought a 100-year-old farm table at a yard sale for about fifty bucks. I need room to spread out, and this fits the bill. I NEVER use fake wood anything.

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
My desk is actually three pieces: two small pieces of furniture with drawers -- I'm not sure what they were meant to be, endtables maybe? -- and then the top is actually a wooden blank for a door, stained and varnished by my mother as a gift.

It's functional, aesthetically appealing, and easy to move. I'm fond of it.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I used to go to a favorite restaurant with big windows looking out on nature to write. I could use the sounds of the restaurant as ambient noise and slip into the creative part of my brain. Plus my coffee cup magically refilled. ;)

But then I left the state I lived in due to life and had to find new ways. I could no longer drive a short distance to sit and write so it became more costly. I found a restaurant but it wasn't the best view. It was still ok but the coffee wasn't very good and it was more noisy than the restaurants I had previously used. I thought if I had a nice desk I could write at home. I couldn't afford much so it took awhile. I finally found one. I purchased a solid wood desk for $50 from a second hand store and it was beautiful. It was cherry, had drawers, and a large top. I set it up facing a window where I could look out and gaze at the birds and trees. It was wonderful. I felt like a real writer.

I had just started writing again when I had another unexpected move. The desk came with but was put in storage because there was no place to put it. And there were no close restaurants, the nearest with windows to look out was an hour away. And I didn't have money for trips like that. My writing dwindled.

The next move was the end of the desk I had kept with the hope of a place to set it up. Several moves after that I am now in a stable home. But the office issue is still an issue, I am still 1/2 an hr away from the nearest restaurant with large windows, and that restaurant has a view of a parking lot so it sucks as a visual for a writer. I have tried to set up an office in the spare bedroom but I live with my brother and his wife and they have fought me tooth and nail on setting up an office in it. I don't know why. They just have. I was going to use a folding table and just put a tablecloth over it. But it hasn't been manageable yet and I have become tired of the battle. I stopped writing and started playing video games.

But I missed creating. I made another effort to start writing, paying the money for the trip to the restaurant with the parking lot view. But then the pandemic hit. And there went that writing intention. I haven't written anything appreciable for years. But, I want my writing back. I want to create. I need to move forward with my writing and at a minimum finish the series I've started before I die. With the way the world is now it is all that more urgent. So I decided to write a poem. I managed to write the poem this week sitting in my recliner in the anything but quiet living room. When I managed it I nearly cried because I wasn't sure I still had the creativity to write. I thought I couldn't create anymore. And now I know I can. So I'm going to. Regardless of circumstance or place I am going to create. I am going to write because I am a writer. I've promised myself I'm going to find a way. Because writing is life for me.

The reason I have told you my experiences is because you don't need a desk to be a writer. You don't need a large window overlooking nature. You don't need a particular pen or a type of paper or a full cup of coffee or any specific thing to create. You need the commitment to write. Don't look to a specific desk. It may not be there tomorrow. Don't look to a specific place. You may lose it. Don't tie your writing to something outside of you. Know it is inside of you and you will have it always to rely upon.

I would say "good luck" but we make our own luck. So instead I'll say, "Good creating."

p.s. Find a comfortable chair. It is much more important than the type of desk.

Last edited:

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
I would say "good luck" but we make our own luck. So instead I'll say, "Good creating."

Back atcha. And thank you for sharing your story... I'm so glad you found a way to write again. I recently finished a short story slmost entirely on my phone, while holding a sleeping baby. It took me a month, but I did it. I would absolutely encourage anyone with a smartphone to get Google Docs and write wherever they happen to have a few minutes free. It adds up.

I do plan on writing at my desk for NaNoWriMo, though!

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
I came across a desk in the online want ads of a local newspaper a few years ago. The woman was asking $30. It was about a 45 minute drive through an area of New Hampshire I had never been so I took a leisurely drive to go take a look. I had a nice conversation with a stranger about a desk that belonged to her aunt, who purchased it in the 1930's. As our conversation was wrapping up I wanted to make sure that she was OK with parting with it for a slight amount of money. She said she was just happy that it was going to be put to good use and refused to take my money. It was (and still is) fairly worn, rough around the edges. But all the drawers do what they're supposed to do and it holds a monitor as well as any other desk I've seen. I originally thought about refinishing it, to revitalize it to it's former glory. But then I think that it is the way it is, much the way I am the way I am, because of the years and strains and nicks and dents. I wouldn't want it any other way.