Jonas Says Hello

jonas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m excited to be here. Working as a visual effects artist during the day is nothing to be ashamed of, but it never made me happy. Writing does. So in the past few years, it’s what I’ve been doing whenever I find the time. I’ve always just considered it to be a hobby though—nothing serious.

I want to change that.

Today I’m taking the next step by becoming a member of the Cooler. I want to try to be part of a community. Just reading on the forums over the past couple of days brought me joy, so if you’ll have me, I am going to contribute and earn my place.

My name is Jonas and I’m in my late thirties. I was born and raised in Germany, where I currently live with my boyfriend. Even though it’s not my first language, all writing I do is in English. My brain just doesn’t work in German. I do enjoy the occasional (were)wolf, devouring fiction of many genres—mostly modern fantasy and cyberpunk—, drinking coffee in the morning, and devising a plan to change my career.

My current writing endeavors alternate between building a huge high fantasy world of my own—wasting time devising the most intricate detail̦—, and outlining an actual novel after deliriously hammering out most of it in linear fashion and realizing it’s really not the best idea for me to do that.

What I personally would like to get out of the community is inspiration more than anything, so I’m looking forward to read and devour many things here.

This is going to be great!

Out of fear of making this introduction too long, and starting to have doubts over what I’ve written, I am now simply going to post it. My first post! Outstanding.

Thank you for reading,
Jonas

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brain doesn't work in German, either--probably because I don't speak it. (You will quickly learn I have way too much smart-ass in me.) I'd like to be first to welcome you to the Cooler, though. Soon you'll get a big old post from this board's moderator with lots of links to follow. If you do it, and take your time reading the content, you'll be at ease here and know how things work pretty quickly.

And if something's confusing or you can't figure it out, we're available for questions any time.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

jonas

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, pleased to meet you

Hello Maryn. Thank you so much for taking the time to say hi!
I do enjoy the occasional smart-ass as long there is enough wit to go with it :D

I have already read many of the guides, dos, and don'ts and feel comfortable navigating the Cooler. I will be doing that now!

Thank you again.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Goshawk31

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck on your new adventure. I, too, am new here. Well not as new as you but new enough not to have my fifty posts yet and to be still losing myself in the many thought-train mazes running through this place . It's an adventure. Yep. If I find my way back to you one of these days I'll hope to find a thread of whatever you're working on.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jonas!

I look forward to hearing more about the huge fantasy world whose construction is giving you so much joy, and reading a novel set within it someday.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brain doesn't work in German, either--probably because I don't speak it. (You will quickly learn I have way too much smart-ass in me.)

I can help with that, Maryn. "Smartass" in German is "Klugscheißer" (also Klugscheisser).

:welcome:, Jonus. I was near Göppingen for two years.

jonas

Registered
Reaction score
I'm overjoyed at your kind reponses and believe I figured out how to reply to multiple posts at the same time.

If I find my way back to you one of these days I'll hope to find a thread of whatever you're working on.

Hello Goshawk! I would like that. Thank you for your warm welcome. I'll keep an eye out for your threads, too.

I look forward to hearing more about the huge fantasy world whose construction is giving you so much joy, and reading a novel set within it someday.

Hello kinokonoronin! You know what's the best part? I wrote the first concept of that world over ten years ago; the actual creation date eludes me as I have only recently started properly dating stuff. I sometimes go, "I couldn't possibly have written this, could I?"

I can help with that, Maryn. "Smartass" in German is "Klugscheißer" (also Klugscheisser).

Hello Chase! That made me laugh. I'm actually located in Berlin right now and have been for quite a while, nice to meet you.

And now I'm off to SYW to see what people are posting there :)

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes go, "I couldn't possibly have written this, could I?"

Now that's a sentiment I understand. Sometimes you look back and realize that a different person must have written a piece. And to some extent, that's true: it just means your skills, outlook, and life experience have all grown since then.

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
Bleep (aka "David") sez Hello back! Nice, warm intro. Another newbie here. Eager to read your emerging writing once it's ready. My own writing has flavors of sci fi, fantasy, and cyberpunk, oh and memoir, go figure.

See you around the boards!

jonas

Registered
Reaction score
Bleep (aka "David") sez Hello back!

Hello David, thank you for your reply and warm welcome. I too am looking forward to seeing you and your prose. I’ll check out the links in your footer for now :)

It’s interesting, I thought I’d be posting more by now. But I’m hanging around the forums daily, and instead of skimming through, I’m mostly reading new things in SYW and inspiring myself. I had written two or three reponses but it felt not right yet. Maybe I shouldn’t be so intimidated, but I want the original poster to get something out of my feedback and as I wasn’t sure I could deliver on that—or would simply be reiterating the response of someone else... I didn’t post. Ah well. :) I’ll get there. Amazing crowd.

jadeheavens

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also pretty new here, joined at the beginning of the month, but I decided to just go for it and get started on critiquing! I read stickies in the SYW rooms I was interested in, tried to get a feel for the rooms by reading previous threads, and it seemed like everyone was very open to newbies participating so I went for it. I was (and still am) doubtful about my judgment, but after interacting with people in SYW, seeing how my feedback was received, and comparing it to feedback from more seasoned critiquers, I've realized that everyone is just trying to help; even if your opinion ends up not being echoed by others, everyone's just contributing their opinions and the poster will benefit from a variety of ideas :) I figure that the only way I'll get better at critiquing is by reading a lot and practicing! So I hope you'll find your comfort zone on the forum and jump in once you're ready :)

--from a fellow newbie

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW, Jonas! Aha yes, I can't stick to a detailed outline to save myself - I like to have a beginning, end and a few points to hit along the way and then just get stuck in writing it.

jonas

Registered
Reaction score
Oh you wonderful people.

Thank you for the continued stream of welcomes.

jade, I will take your advice to heart and post more than just welcomes. I’m sure I have something to contribute. :)

Cameron, I just wish I had the confidence to just sit down and write. I do in fact have roughly 180,000 words down for a novel but after going through it quite a few times, I had to realize that 1) I am not a pantser and 2) I don’t have the mental acuity to just let go and type it out. It might just be lack of experience but all the outlining and planning I’ve done afterwards has been 90% building up confidence in my work and 10% procrastination. :)