AW Newbie checking in

ImprovRanger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
improvillusionist.com
Hi all, I'm new to AW, and since my current project is a non-fiction book I'm stopping in here to say hello.

One of my side jobs is as an improv comedy performer and instructor. My book is about developing and using certain specific improv skills. I finished the manuscript and am working on a book proposal to try some publisher submissions. Anyone here know any good book proposal resources to recommend?

Happy to share my experience writing the book, and I'll update with my progress along the way for anyone who might be interested. Another thing I'm working on is a website as a platform for the book.

Best of luck to all you non-fiction-ers out there!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Nonfiction Book Proposals by Elizabeth Lyons gives a rundown on the basics.

Platform means more than having a place to promote the book; it means having a readership. The fact that you're an instructor may be important if you (and the publishers) can sell the book to students and market it to other improv teachers.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Reactions: SarahST2

frankpriegue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
frankpriegue.com
Hello Improv Ranger,

I'm also a newbie on this site and in this forum. I saw an excellent documentary about Gary Shandling on HBO called The Zen Diaries of Gary Shandling. It covered how he documented his process in diaries and used them to grow as a writer and a performer. As one who keeps a journal, it helped me maintain my focus and reinforced the importance of documenting one's thoughts to the creative process.

I love improv and stand-up and would love to follow your exploits.