• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Biology: Do animals consciously hunt, or is it a "hard-wired" ability?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The bolding below is mine. I thought it worth highlighting.

Random Search Wired Into Animals May Help Them Hunt

Quanta Magazine said:
It’s not surprising that the fruit fly larva in the laboratory of Jimena Berni crawls across its large plate of agar in search of food. “A Drosophila larva is either eating or not eating, and if it’s not eating, it wants to eat,” she said. The surprise is that this larva can search for food at all. Owing to a suite of genetic tricks performed by Berni, it has no functional brain. In fact, the systems that normally relay sensations of touch and feedback from its muscles have also been shut down.

Berni, an Argentinian neuroscientist whose investigations of fruit fly nervous systems recently earned her a group leader position at the University of Sussex, is learning what the tiny cluster of neurons that directly controls the larva’s muscles does when it’s allowed to run free, entirely without input from the brain or senses. How does the animal forage when it’s cut off from information about the outside world?

The answer is that it moves according to a very particular pattern of random movements, a finding that thrilled Berni and her collaborator David Sims, a professor of marine ecology at the Marine Biological Association in Plymouth, U.K. For in its prowl for food, this insensate maggot behaves exactly like an animal Sims has studied for more than 25 years — a shark.

In neuroscience, the usual schema for considering behavior has it that the brain receives inputs, combines them with stored information, then decides what to do next. This corresponds to our own intuitions and experiences, because we humans are almost always responding to what we sense and remember.

But for many creatures, useful information isn’t always available, and for them something else may also be going on. When searching their environment, sharks and a diverse array of other species, now including fruit fly larvae, sometimes default to the same pattern of movement, a specific type of random motion called a Lévy walk. This shared trait hints that evolution may have equipped nervous systems to spontaneously generate a foundational movement pattern, a solution that works better than any other strategy for a blind search.

The idea has provoked debate across the fields of ecology and animal behavior for more than two decades. The work of Berni and Sims now brings the phenomenon firmly into the realm of neuroscience and makes it hard to ignore the case for its importance.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fascinating! But we shouldn't be surprised. Plants and bacteria have innate actions not associated with brains as we know them.

I observed some interesting innate behaviors in my dogs. (I have posted this before.)

Any dogs we met out walking before they were a year old were 'friends'. Years later they still recognized their 'friends'. These were dogs they encountered briefly, not dogs that visited our house for any length of time.

After that year, all new dogs we encountered were not 'friends'.

Clearly there was something about imprinting on 'family' at play there.

They also knew how to successfully hunt voles, no one taught them. They smelled them under the ground, dug furiously and actually caught them. No more vole holes in my yard but replaced by dog-dug holes. :tongue

There's no way they figured that behavior out by trial and error. And certainly no one taught them.

They also discern the difference between a cat, bunny, other small prey creatures and dogs & people. Even tiny dogs they bark at, but the other small creatures they stalk and chase. And they've never bit people including kids. They don't bark at people we pass when out walking. They will bark at people who enter our house or yard.

I found this behavior fascinating as well.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool story! The story itself brings to mind bark beetles, and the greater idea the work of ornithologist Niko Tinbergen.

For the bark beetles, scientists used to think they were attracted to trees weakened by lightning, fire, fungal infection, etc. The scientists figured the beetles were cueing in on chemicals the damaged trees produced and came in from afar. Sound theory, but it didn't hold up to investigation. What it turned out, was the beetles went from tree to tree randomly, then stopped when they encountered one they liked, i.e., one that had been damaged. They were indeed using chemical cues produced by the damaged tree, but they weren't attracted (initiation of search behavior) from afar; the chemical cues worked as "arrestants" that shut off the search behavior. The beetles only looked attracted because there were more on damaged trees.

Bird work by Tinbergen showed that seagull hatchlings who had never seen an adult bird pecked at a stick containing a red dot similar to that on the beak of an adult seagull the hatchlings peck at to be fed. Another experiment of his passed a cutout silhouette over newly hatched chicks (of geese, I think). The leading edge of the shape when sent in one direction resembled a harmless goose, but when reversed the leading edge resembled a predator. The chicks didn't react when the "goose edge" was sent over, but they scrambled when the "predator" was sent over. The conclusion was there is some sort of "search image" imprinted in order for chicks to feed that does not have to be learned, or that alerts them to danger. Tinbergen's work was cool enough to almost turn me to ornith.

MaeZe's observations bear this out: dogs respond to other dogs differently than they do to other animals, even breed that look nothing like themselves. Back in the 90s, we talked about the SMRC, or specific mate recognition concept as a way to delineate one species from another, but I don't know if that ever took off.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MaeZe's observations bear this out: dogs respond to other dogs differently than they do to other animals, even breed that look nothing like themselves. Back in the 90s, we talked about the SMRC, or specific mate recognition concept as a way to delineate one species from another, but I don't know if that ever took off.
There were no small dogs they treated like cats. And they never treated little kids differently than big adults. So size was not what my dogs were responding to. But it could have been smell.

The memory though, that one surprised me. When I was a kid our dog, a toy poodle, knew the difference between people in a uniform, males and females. Males of any age and people of either gender in dark colored uniforms received barking and biting if our dog got the chance. But girls and women were friends.

My uncle (a cop) raised the dog 'til she was about a year. We took her when they moved into an apartment that didn't allow pets. My uncle didn't visit our house often and one day he arrived in uniform. Missy, the dog, recognized him as soon as he started walking up the driveway. She was ecstatic to see him.

No clue how that uniform/male/female thing worked. She lived a long life. It wasn't just a few anecdotes that bore this out. It wasn't cues from us because often the barking started before we saw who she was barking at and I didn't treat the boy kids in the neighborhood differently than the girls.

We had a slot in the door the mail was deposited in. She would freak out and attack the mail. But she couldn't see the mail-person so she didn't associate the uniform with the mail. But maybe people in uniforms looked like males to our dog. And I don't recall that she reacted to light-colored uniforms.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MaeZe, I'd heard about the uniform thing, and it's a common observation. The unofficial, conjectural explanation I heard is not the uniform (dogs have no idea what that means) but the behavior of the person in the uniform. The person shows up out of nowhere, doesn't interact, shoves things through the mail slot, makes a noise, then disappears as suddenly as they appear.

I have no idea if that explains the behavior of your dog, but the testable hypothesis would have been the behavior of the people she saw versus what they were wearing. Could have been a cool experiment: have a familiar person in a uniform doing normal social actions (like your uncle) versus a stranger not in a uniform acting like the mailman, versus a familiar person not in uniform acting like the mailman.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just dawned on me, she might have seen the mail-person when she lived with my uncle. But she would have seen my uncle in his uniform so that's a weird variable.

We always got a kick out of her fighting the mail that was delivered. :D

Speaking of reacting to inanimate objects, when I take my dogs for a walk they think certain objects on the street are things to be afraid of.

Last edited: