What do you think about this ideas? I'm about to quit for the struggle and deception

Rupert24

Registered
Reaction score
My friends in your experience what you think about a story told and mainly starring by women?

You see my history (which is based in the reality) is told under the perspective of a girl and almost the main characters are women, there's just one recurrent male but i'm not counting the tertiary or generic ones males, is this really a bad idea?

Also one of the antagonist is truly feminist and according to one writer fellow i know in real life, he said that will suck and even can polarize my whole history because feminism can be a tough topic for a story but you see i'm not trying to promove the feminism in some aggresive way, the antagonist i previously mentioned is just a girl who suffered family abuse from her father and was used by her boyfriend in high school. As result, she's committed to punish the lecherous, rapist, bullies and every kind of male who attempts to hurt the women around the world. To accomplish that, she started to create millionarie legal business in the day, but at nights she involves in the criminal world, so in this way she can get infinity resources for her mission and even she created an international gang of skilled and talented assassin's women to help her. If i had to reference her using comics i like to think her as an smart female version of magneto of x men with the genius criminal mind of the kingpin (villian of spiderman and daredevil)

I did this because i wanted to try some different ideas and something unique but again my intention is create an enjoyable story, not a polarized which can split my potential readers and well... i'm so demoralized that even i'm thinking about give up and not continue writing :( :( :( :( :(

What do you think? :(

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
This is rich ground to till. See what comes out of it.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
You're never going to write something that everyone will love. Even the most popular, beloved books have honest 1 star reviews that "wish they could be a 0". Write it, see how it feels, then judge it. You can do anything with an idea. Nixing it before it can get beyond that point because someone says it could be controversial is a tragedy.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
This topic really has nothing to do with the block so I'ma move it on over to Roundtable for a wider discussion.

Y'all know the drill—please keep your arms & legs in the car while the thread is in motion. :)

Last edited:

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with wanting to create more female characters than male ones. If you character feels uncomfortable in the presence of men due to her history, then it would make sense for most of the people she surrounds herself to be female.

All I would say is to make sure every character is unique and serves a purpose. Also, feminism isn't about hating on men so I would hope that the female voices won't be the overly stereotyped feminists that are aggressive and hateful towards the opposite sex because that would certainly be polarizing for readers.

Two books I'd point at doing this well (that happen to be male authors writing strong feminist characters) are Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Michael Faber's Crimson Petal and the White. Although these books do have significant male characters in the story, it's really the female main characters that are the break out voices in the novels.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
I've always felt more comfortable writing female main characters than male ones, maybe that's because I'm genderqueer, or because I had a lot of strong women in my life growing up, or who knows why! :)

Anyway, the only novel I've completed so far has far more women than men, especially among the characters that the protagonist interacts with a lot. That's fine, and doesn't really need to be justified.

There are a lot of books out there with almost exclusively male casts. No reason why there can't be female-centric books.

Last edited:

Rupert24

Registered
Reaction score
All I would say is to make sure every character is unique and serves a purpose. Also, feminism isn't about hating on men so I would hope that the female voices won't be the overly stereotyped feminists that are aggressive and hateful towards the opposite sex because that would certainly be polarizing for readers.

Two books I'd point at doing this well (that happen to be male authors writing strong feminist characters) are Stieg Larsson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Michael Faber's Crimson Petal and the White. Although these books do have significant male characters in the story, it's really the female main characters that are the break out voices in the novels.

No no not at all, the female characters only seek for the bad guys, guys who disrespect the women, guys who are not hard to hate for the way the act, guys who abuse of the power and money to subdue the women, those kind of guys are the marked ones, not the whole opposite sex. As i said, my intention is not trigger a fight and polarized reactions D:

Mmm it's true, the girl with the dragon tattoo is a strong piece of art in the terms of female voices

Rupert24

Registered
Reaction score
You're never going to write something that everyone will love. Even the most popular, beloved books have honest 1 star reviews that "wish they could be a 0". Write it, see how it feels, then judge it. You can do anything with an idea. Nixing it before it can get beyond that point because someone says it could be controversial is a tragedy.

I must admit the idea of my first history being a whole mess is terrifying. I guess is normal isn't it?

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and English cognates aren't so easy, either. :) I know historia can be history or story, but I think the word you want here is story. :Hug2:

If you want to write and publish, you'll have to get used to the idea of your work angering someone or being unpopular with some readers. There is no way to avoid this, other than never publishing anything.

Best wishes! :)