Cover Art Opinions Needed

Klope3

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for first impressions of this image as a YA fantasy e-book cover. Does it fit with the genre? What do you like/dislike? All input is welcome. (Use this link if you can't see the image.)

uc

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like it. However, it doesn't necessarily say "fantasy" to me. My first thought was space sci-fi, although I can't decide why. Maybe his face has a robotic look?

I wonder if the title and author could be raised a bit? It's kind of all crowded at the bottom. Perhaps raise it so the "Wisp" is at the level of his belt.

Grain of salt: I don't read this genre much, but this is what I would expect if I saw it on a shelf at a bookstore.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I like the image but the writing across the forehead bothers me. The face is the first thing my eye is drawn to and the writing there interrupts it. Maybe consider putting 'Wisplore 1' (btw I love that) in a band at the bottom?

Otherwise, I think it's an attractive cover that would encourage me to check out further.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The proportion is wrong in the image, too tall. Not sure why that is.

I think the colors do a lot to make the image stand out if one were looking at YA covers out of an assortment of new titles.

Title and author lettering and composition look good. The lettering at the top is lost. If you mean that to be a series title it needs a complete change.

I agree the image says more sci fi than YA but it really depends on if this represents the main character or something significant about the story. I agree the face looks off, not really a human face. If it fits the story or that character, then that's fine. But if this is a human or human-like character, then maybe make the face more human.

YA can be sci fi or fantasy. I don't have a problem with that, I read both. And I'm writing a YA sci fi myself.

Again, a reader will be disappointed or confused if the image doesn't represent the story, but if it does then it's great.

Last edited:

Klope3

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, quick feedback! Thanks, everyone.

I want to see the art. Why can’t I see the art?
I do see a small grey square.

I added a sharing link in the original post you can try. I'd still love to have your input.

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!
I like it in general, except for the way the head is cut off and the very plain shirt takes up half the cover. I agree it's mostly the proportions are off, but it is intriguing!
Oh, also, at first glance it appears the character's eyes are closed or almost closed, but sometimes they shift to look like a demon glaring.

wiktorpaluch

Registered
Reaction score
Klope3, it's a bit late, but maybe you can still use some feedback.

I think it's a good cover and although i'm familiar with YA fantasy genre I' not an expert in it. But i too think it works.

There's some nice contrast, lightning and colors in the illustration. As other folks have suggested, it's the face and proportions that need fixing.
It's a grown up's face. The hand and neck seem a bit too thick and powerful for my taste.

What I'd say also, for a fantasy cover, it seems a bit ascetic. Unless it's related to the story, the outfit could state "fantasy" even more by using details like embroidment, necklace etc.

Last edited:

AnwaarSaleh

Registered
Reaction score
A late comment here but I just wanted to share my opinion.

I like the cover art and it does give a fantasy feeling to it, however, my only suggestion is to resize the font a bit and move it upwards. It's almost at the edge and there isn't enough space beneath it.