Greetings AW!

ImprovRanger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
improvillusionist.com
I'm happy to be joining the Water Cooler. I've been writing fiction and non-fiction all my life, and working in marketing communications and copywriting for the last 20 years. But I never had any serious commitment to producing my own work until about a year ago. I feel like joining a community will help keep me motivated and on the path. It feels good to finally be writing for myself every day.

I have a side gig as an improv comedy performer and instructor. Just finished the manuscript for a book about improv skills and am working on the book proposal to send out to publishers. (I'd like to try that route before considering self-publishing.) Can any of you recommend good resources about proposals? (I've also set up a website to build a platform for the book - let me know if you're interested in taking a look. But since it's a pretty specific thing I won't link to it right away to avoid spamming people.)

Once this project is finished, I might attempt some fiction next. I love short stories but am attracted to the challenge of a novel. I grew up firmly in the sci-fi and fantasy genres, and still love them, but I read pretty widely now.

Anyway, that's a little about me. I look forward to chatting with members through the forums. Cheers!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AWTake some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about Absolute Write.Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments. Awesome smilies and awards are given out.Please read the FAQ about posting photos. In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need 50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted. Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight! Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

jadeheavens

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a newbie here, but welcome anyway! I don't know of any non-fiction resources to suggest to you, but I just wanted to say that your background and project sound really cool (I can't do improv or comedy to save my life). Hope you find helpful resources here!

ImprovRanger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
improvillusionist.com
If you think about it, writing fiction is really a lot like improv, except slower and you're playing both sides! :) Successful improv is about staying present with the moment, not planning too far ahead. Even if you're a "plotter", you can still take your scenes in interesting directions by exploring the now.

Thanks for saying hi. See you around!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help, regdog. See you around!