• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is using the word "their" for inanimate objects wrong?

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Would a sentence like this be correct?

"My eyes popped out of their pockets."

"In the accident, both of my shoulders dislocated from their sockets."

"The cars on the pier looked rusty and old, their windows smashed and mirrors missing."

I know this question sounds very basic, but I've heard in the past that you should never use "their" to describe an object. I know eyes don't count as objects, but hopefully you know what I mean.

Also, which word sounds better in this sentence? Which or that?

The radio, which played the same CD all day long, was getting on Rob's nerves.

OR

"The radio, that played the same CD all day long, was getting on Rob's nerves."

Thanks.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoever told you not to use their for inanimate objects is someone you should not get your writing advice from.

How else could you possibly phrase an inanimate possessive that's a plural? The books and their colorful dust jackets, the shoes and their knotted laces, the school buses and their drivers...

There are specific rules for which and that. A comma is required for which before and after the phrase it starts, and it has to add information that isn't necessary. No commas allowed for that, and it must provide vital information, most often an identifier.

The shoes that the prison provided were cheap slip-on canvas. <-the point is that the prison provides cheap shoes
The shoes, which the prison provided, were cheap slip-on canvas. <-the point is that the shoes are cheap, not where they come from

I got a whole lot of edits on this, on my first novel, and learned. And here they said I was too old!

Maryn, fearing they may have been right

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are specific rules for which and that. A comma is required for which before and after the phrase it starts, and it has to add information that isn't necessary. No commas allowed for that, and it must provide vital information, most often an identifier.

The shoes that the prison provided were cheap slip-on canvas. <-the point is that the prison provides cheap shoes
The shoes, which the prison provided, were cheap slip-on canvas. <-the point is that the shoes are cheap, not where they come from

I got a whole lot of edits on this, on my first novel, and learned. And here they said I was too old!

Maryn, fearing they may have been right

Others will chime in with the correct information, but note for now that this rule differs between US and UK usage.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Others will chime in with the correct information, but note for now that this rule differs between US and UK usage.

Does it? What is the rule in the UK?

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
LOL this is a fun prompt.

If 'their' is not correct, what is the correct substitution?

"My eyes popped out of its pockets."
"My eyes popped out of pockets."
"My eyes popped out of many pockets."
"My eyes popped out of some pockets."
"My eyes popped out of his pockets."
"My eyes popped out of my pockets."
"My eyes popped out of whose pockets?"
"Help, I've lost my eyes."

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
They' re is short for they are
Their is it belongs to them . A trick to use to test if your using their correctly , try substituting their with our , if it still works than their is probably correct.
There is a place, similar to the word here.

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
LOL this is a fun prompt.

If 'their' is not correct, what is the correct substitution?

"My eyes popped out of its pockets."
"My eyes popped out of pockets."
"My eyes popped out of many pockets."
"My eyes popped out of some pockets."
"My eyes popped out of his pockets."
"My eyes popped out of my pockets."
"My eyes popped out of whose pockets?"
"Help, I've lost my eyes."

*its’s*

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does it? What is the rule in the UK?

I use 'which' to add information, and 'that' to identify, plus the commas before and after the which phrase. In other words I agree with Maryn.

There's no difference over here in the UK as far as I know although some folk may choose to regard 'which' and 'that' as interchangeable.

I don't :Shrug:.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use 'which' to add information, and 'that' to identify, plus the commas before and after the which phrase. In other words I agree with Maryn.

There's no difference over here in the UK as far as I know although some folk may choose to regard 'which' and 'that' as interchangeable.

I don't :Shrug:.

Huh. I guess the rule is not as "in stone" as I thought it was.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stone carving takes so long, and what's the point if they're just going to change the damned rule anyway, right?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Why would it be incorrect if you are using "their" to refer to both eyes or both arms? What alternative would you have, aside from repeating "his arms" or "my eyes" or whatever, or to find some way to write around the whole thing, which would be a bit awkward and definitely unnecessary.

Also, why wouldn't eyes count as objects? They are.

If an inanimate object can possess something, even if it's a figurative possession, I can't imagine what other word you would use here?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Huh. I guess the rule is not as "in stone" as I thought it was.

There's virtually no formal grammar teaching in the UK - or at least, there wasn't in the period I was in the system. About the only rule I knew about "that" and "which" before reading this thread was that "which" clauses must be preceded by a comma, and "that" clauses shouldn't be. Bear in mind that I am educated to postgrad level...

e.g.

Not: "This author's invented world was so rich, that I was immediately drawn to it"
But: "This author's invented world was so rich that I was immediately drawn to it"

Not: "I like reading which is why I have books all over the house"
But: "I like reading, which is why I have books all over the house"

I couldn't tell you if that's anything to do with restrictive/non-restrictive? Nor if there's any UK/US divide here.

(Also, as a point of comparison...

Not: "The house which I had once lived in was now falling down"
I suppose, technically, but it sounds 'fancy': "The house, which I had once lived in, was now falling down"
More likely to hear: "The house that I had once lived in was now falling down")

Last edited: