Hello fellow writers & readers! :)

JamLikesStory

Registered
Reaction score
I have recently taken an interest in writing and I'm currently working on a fantasy novel that stands at 34,000 words

Unfortunately I have scarcely read fiction books, as I prefer non-fiction instead, but I enjoy a wide variety of mediums, be them books, mangas, anime, tv series, games and films. Fundamentally, I enjoy good stories, but I know I'm probably an odd duck in these parts

Nonetheless, I hope for this to be a start of my writing journey!

SAWeiner

Reaction score
Jam-

Welcome to AW. I've also read more non-fiction than fiction myself, although that has been changing in the last few years. I am working on murder-mysteries BTW.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the AW. Glad to have you here. I too am writing fantasy. Completed one epic fantasy book, started on book 2 of the series, and also have started a YA Fantasy book.

You state that you do not read fiction - recommendation would be to start reading fiction. I have learned so much by reading other authors and how they do things. Their prose, dialogue, methods for delivering conflict and suspense, and a whole slew of other things. I find that I read books differently now, and better appreciate the art of weaving a story. So if you are serious about writing, I highly suggest you get into reading your genre of choice. If you are looking for SFF suggestions, you might want to check out the AW thread below found under the Science Fiction / Fantasy Section:
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?170777-What-we-re-reading-the-SFF-edition

Take a good look around. There's some excellent material to be found. I'm always discovering new things here. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

JamLikesStory

Registered
Reaction score
I will do that! I'm currently reading ASOIAF by George RR Martin since my fantasy story is similar in style, I've been trying to pick up on prose style. I also hope to read more niche fantasy books so I can get a varied idea of how to write properly!