Reupholstering the dining room chairs

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
I live with a horde of unruly cats. They are destructive and utterly unashamed when I confront them with their crimes. Cats may be great sources of material if I ever want to write about an amoral villain.

Over the years my mother and sister accumulated a lot of furniture which has passed on to me. I had four small chairs with shredded upholstery and four high back chairs with bare, mangled remnants of upholstery. Sigh.

I dug through my mother's stock of cloth and found two different types of material that could work in my quest to put new covers on the chair seats. One is a burgundy satin cloth, which I remember her using for pillows in her front room and the other is actual upholstery material, green and gold, with a faint pattern woven into it. Thirty years ago, I remember her putting this cloth on her cheap, metal chairs in the kitchen and the combination was a part of our family for many years, until the chairs fell apart.

So, this was both an exercise in furniture restoration and a nostalgic trip back to my mother's kitchen. Both the sets of chairs look fine now, and I've taken steps to protect them from the ravages of the evil felines who surround me.

I would post pics, but they are just chairs, and not all that exciting to anyone but myself.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having reupholstered dining room chairs myself, I salute you! By the time I did the sixth and last chair, I was getting pretty good.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't attempted upholstery myself, I'm too daunted,but it's always cool to hear of people who did. I hope you will get plenty of pleasure out of your hard work. :)

And god yes, cats, while I love them to death, are terrible for furniture.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Friendly Frog, if all you're doing is re-covering the seats, it's something like gift wrapping.

Maryn, remembering the Haitian cotton sofa the cats destroyed and sighing