Publisher liked my #Pitmad tweet - should I submit?

liritha

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I hope this question is allowed.

I took part in #pitmad yesterday and got a few likes from publishers. Most of them are small, indie presses or all-digital and since I've just started querying this MS, I wanted to exhaust my agent list first.

That being said, one of the likes came from Angry Robot Books. They don't normally accept un-agented submissions (apart from #pitmad and during a special submission window every year). The editor who liked my tweet requested query letter + opening pages + synopsis.

1) Would it be a mistake to submit to a publisher so early in the query process (around 10 queries sent, 1 full request that resulted in rejection, 1 full still out there, waiting to hear on 6)?
2) Would I be able to secure an agent if Angry Robot decides to make me an offer (I know, I know, it's very early to think about that, but I like to be prepared)?
3) If they do make an offer, can/should I email agents, with a sort of "Hi, I queried you X time ago, I currently have an offer by this publisher and I'm looking for representation". Or is this bad etiquette?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
AR are a good publisher, if you have an opportunity there I would take it. They don't pay large advances so some agents are less keen on submitting to them but I think if you email a bunch of agents with a submission line of "offer received, representation needed" you will get some bites.