Looking, looking, looking ...

Goshawk31

Registered
Reaction score
I've been on the search for a really good writers group for some time. This one gets high praise, so here I am.

My background is in non-fiction writing ... everything from ads to documentaries to adventure articles to technical pieces. But fiction is where I want to be. That's why I've launched an all out effort to learn more about the craft. First thing I've learned: it's a lot harder than it looks. But I'm looking forward to learning more and hope to find myself (someday) trading thoughtful critiques with some of you here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
First thing I've learned: it's a lot harder than it looks.

Man, isn't it though? :D Welcome! I also had done various kinds of writing before I got interested in fiction a few years ago -- legal briefs, technical expert reports, film criticism, personal essays, software documentation and application examples ... in some ways fiction is tougher than all the others put together. Surprisingly, though, writing fiction has made my other writing better too. Anyway, I think you have found a good place, and I hope you like it here. I've learned a ton here and it's a great place to do one of my favorite pastimes, gab about the craft of fiction. Do head on over to the Share Your Work areas and jump right in with giving critiques. It's a super way to learn.

:e2coffee:

Last edited:

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Goshakw31 - I was in your shoes a year ago looking for a good online writing community. I discovered AW and have stayed, finding everything I needed here. Its a great resource center with a lot of participants. Its important to get involved. If you make the investment in participating people will be more inclined to invest in you. Point being, its just as important to review others work especially when you are asking for input on your own. Case in point, several of us worked on pitches for #pitmad over the last few days and we all weighed in on what we thought about other people's pitches to help them tweak and improve.

Take a look around, explore the many threads, share your thoughts. We're glad you're hear and hope you find the AW useful.

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
Goshawk31, I'm in a similar boat. My work has mostly been in the tech marketing world, while doing a different kind of writing, a blend of fiction and memoir, on the side. Trying to get this latter kind of writing more front-and-center. It's a hard battle, but worth it! What kind of fiction are you working on?