Recovery time for broken leg/ankle or possibly alternative injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
The events of my climax call for a 20-yr-old guy to be injured, in hospital, & then out on crutches (or similar) for probably two weeks or a bit more, and then travel to a nearby town to testify at a trial. I'm working with some true history and trying to figure out the timing of everything. I want it to be rather on the short side if possible; if it can't be made to fit, I'm going to have to change my plan to have him injured in a particular battle. I'd like to avoid changing that, if I can.

I'd like the whole thing (not the whole recovery, but the time from the injury till the trial, including 2 weeks out on crutches b/c he has to have certain interactions around town during that time) not to take more than a month, maybe even 25 days.

I've been tentatively figuring to have him break his leg. I know it's not your "traditional" battle wound but it's super possible, especially in rough terrain. Maybe the ankle would heal faster? Or, any other suggestions?

ETA: and thank you!

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Oh and btw this is not quite modern, the medical resources will be mid-20th century and perhaps a bit makeshift, this guy is in the Maquis during the liberation of France.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you want your guy off crutches in 2 weeks or so, don't break his bones. A moderate (level 2) sprained ankle fits your timeline pretty well -- crutches for a few weeks, full mobility after about 6.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, bones won't heal completely in two weeks, but you can crack a lower leg bone without breaking it. Big giant bruise, unable to bear weight for a couple of weeks.

Make sure a break doesn't involve the ankle.

Twenty yr olds' bones heal much faster than older folks because the younger bones are still influenced by growth hormones.

Other injuries will also do, like a nasty sprained ankle.

Last edited:

Goshawk31

Registered
Reaction score
You could do all kinds of things to fit your timeline: a concussion, a wound that's deep enough for hospital but not enough to keep him there, or, as several have suggested, a good old sprain. (Although I haven't ever heard of a sprain that involves hospital time.) I guess the real question is whether you need your guy to be in tip-top shape for the trial.

SwallowFeather

Registered
Reaction score
Well, "reply with quote" appears to be broken (or just eternally delayed), so I guess I won't be doing that. Anyway... thank you for responding!

@benbenberi, sorry for the misleading phrasing, he doesn't need to be off the crutches after two weeks... only capable of a little train travel, to go to the trial. What do you think--with a clean leg fracture, would he be capable of a couple hours' train travel after a week's hospitalization and a couple weeks on crutches? (And also, unfortunately, a significant walk or ride in a farm cart to get to the train station, which would be harder. I might be able to rustle up a character with a rare automobile, in a pinch, to help.)

@MaeZe, thanks for the info on ankles. Bit of a hasty assumption on my part there. And thanks for the cracking idea, I'll look into how that works.

@Goshawk31, a concussion has possibilities, thanks! If I want him to be visibly wounded for longer, which I may, I could add a fractured wrist or arm. And yeah, good question: actually, it might not be a bad thing if he's not doing too well during the trial. The sympathy factor is something I'm interested in here, though he should be reasonably mentally "there." But that's doable, I know there's a whole spectrum of severity with concussions... but I do need him in the hospital 5-6 days at least. Anyone know how you feel three weeks after a concussion that keeps you in hospital almost a week??? :D

Thanks very much for your help, again.

Last edited:

RBEmerson

Believes own press releases
Registered
Reaction score
First, keep in mind there are three leg bones (add the patella or knee cap - they do break), Tibia and Fibula run side by side in the lower leg. You can break one and not the other, or both. The "tib" is the bigger of the two. The Femur or thigh bone is a nasty bone to break. The Femoral Artery is in the area. Sever that and assume next of kin need to be notified. If your MC is involved with Maquis, a fractured femur is not a "cast it and let it heal" fracture under the best of circumstances.

Strictly speaking, your MC could use crutches (I used them 48 hours post-op from an open reduction - 10 pieces - woohoo!), but only for short distance. Crutching through the halls of justice or whatever? Nah.

Sprains aren't heroic. I agree with others that the degree of injury can be "tuned" to fit the time needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.