Howdy Writerly Folk

J.D.Hager

Registered
Reaction score
Hunkered in the weeds, keeping an eye out.
Website
www.jdhager.com
Greetings, my name is Jeff but I write under the name J.D. I finished my first short story collection in second grade. I still have it, with its crayon illustrations and everything.

Since that time I have written many many short stories, most unfinished and forgotten. Short stories are my go-to for reading and writing usually. I have only gotten serious about trying to publish in the past five years or so. I've had a few successes, but mostly I collect rejection notices. More recently I have finished a draft for a middle-grade adventure mystery novel. I know it needs to be majorly edited but I have no idea where to start. Most of the things I write are between 1000-4000 words, and this giant novel manuscript feels like it's mocking me at this point.

When I'm not writing I enjoy gardening, surfing, yoga, and spending time outside. I teach middle school science and engineering and run a school garden. I live in Northern California with one wife, one nephew, two labradors, and four chickens.

I'm looking forward to meeting other writers on this forum and getting help and knowledge from the community. And hopefully, I can reciprocate the favor.

Thanks for reading. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Jeff. Nice to meet you. Welcome!

Maryn, listening to Mr. Maryn cook

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you, JD with just one wife.

You're in the right place. And remember, it's better to have too much than too little : )

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, there are times when one husband is too much...

Maryn, unable to ignore a good straight line

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Jeff, from a neighbor to the north.

In our seventies, I have one wife and zero pets. We have several grandchildren and seven great-grandkids nearby. Thankfully, none live with us. :PartySmil:PartySmil

I also took the challenge to switch from short stories to novels. :greenie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome J.D. Hope you find what you need here. I understand the part about not knowing what to do. There are a lot of resources here to explore. Take a good look. I am always finding something new that helps me with the whole writing/publishing process. Best of luck to you.