Signs of Hope from Tuesday's Primaries and Beyond

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
It's been a really tough several days, so here's some good news.

Steve King has been primaried in Iowa. So long, KKKing.

Ella Jones was elected Ferguson, MO's first black and first woman mayor.

In Minneapolis, the school board has voted to sever its ties with MPD as School Resource officers and event security. This follows on the heels of the University of Minnesota doing the same.

In LA, the LA Police Commission hosted a citizen call-in on YouTubeLive and hoo-boy was it a thing to witness. If you're seeing "I YIELD MY TIME" trending on social media, that's why. It was a bluest-of-blue language spilling of heartfelt outrage by the citizens of the city.

Regardless of what's happening in the White House, we do still have the power to effect change on the ground. If we push, if we vote, if we demand action.

I'm feeling a little lighter of spirit tonight.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Yep. All those politicians who pushed for in-person voting (because it's good for the GOP) may be wishing people were voting a week ago, which is the way it happens when you mail your ballots.

I'm thinking George Floyd was a martyr, not merely a victim.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of voting, apparently Snoop Dogg, the rapper, has announced that he's going to vote in November, for the first time ever! Maybe this will encourage others to step up and vote.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of voting, apparently Snoop Dogg, the rapper, has announced that he's going to vote in November, for the first time ever! Maybe this will encourage others to step up and vote.

I guess part of the reason he didn't vote in '08 and '12 was that someone misinformed him about his criminal record forbidding him from voting.

In LA, the LA Police Commission hosted a citizen call-in on YouTubeLive and hoo-boy was it a thing to witness. If you're seeing "I YIELD MY TIME" trending on social media, that's why. It was a bluest-of-blue language spilling of heartfelt outrage by the citizens of the city.

I've seen a lot of signs mentioning the, erm, time-yielding at the demonstrations around town.

Last edited:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
There is an organized push in Texas to encourage previously non-voting women to the poll this year. The numbers are pretty astounding.
In Texas there are over 1 million registered women voters who are likely Dems who have never voted. If they do not vote this election they are subject to being purged. That is why Sisters United Alliance is targeting 600,000 of these women. @UnitedSua
I assume a large subset of these women haven't voted because they are low wage workers who can't take time off to go to the polls. This is why easy access to vote-by-mail scares the bejabbers out of the GOP. If even a portion of those women vote, it can swing local elections.

Don't get me wrong, though. The majority of people who receive ballots here in WA, where VBM is the only option, still let their ballots languish on the kitchen counter. Getting voters to drop the ballot in the mail or a collection box will be the most important part of any informational campaign.

I really love that Snoop is adding his voice to this effort. He will reach a lot of previously disenfranchised (and disinterested) ears.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I guess part of the reason he didn't vote in '08 and '12 was that someone misinformed him about his criminal record forbidding him from voting.
I'll bet there are others that have been told the same thing. Maybe this will make them look into their own situations.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My brother is also thinking about voting. He has a felony from 50 years ago and that should be easily resolved since he has had no other offenses. major or minor, since then. What is making him consider this big step? Listening to the racist, Fox News informed idjits at his work.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I know no politician is going to go on record as courting the 'criminal' vote, but, hey, every vote counts.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I know no politician is going to go on record as courting the 'criminal' vote, but, hey, every vote counts.

Ionno, they court the police union endorsement.

Conversely, a felony conviction for possessing less than an ounce of marijuana does not a criminal make. IMO.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Conversely, a felony conviction for possessing less than an ounce of marijuana does not a criminal make. IMO.
Totally agreeing, and hopefully this will encourage people who thought it made them ineligible to vote to check into their situation.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The gender gap is now a gender canyon. If this persists, it will be hard for Trump to win, especially given that women comprise a higher percentage of the electorate than men do, and women favor Biden by an even higher margin than men favor Trump.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/me...aRJjF_xIvEdFw6CUdMoewF02_vs2b8IsBQJ9CwPcdTpDs

ASHINGTON — For all the recent 2020 focus on young voters, seniors and African-American turnout, don’t forget about the gender gap.

Because our new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows that this gap is more like a canyon — and it could very well be President Trump’s biggest disadvantage in November.

Overall, our poll shows Democratic presumptive presidential nominee Joe Biden leading Trump by 7 points among registered voters, 49 percent to 42 percent, which is unchanged from April.

But looking inside of these numbers, Biden is ahead of Trump by 21 points (!!!) among women, 56 percent to 35 percent. That’s compared with Hillary Clinton’s 13-point advantage with women, per the 2016 exit poll.
Biden's support grows over key Trump voters
June 7, 202001:52

And Trump is up among men by 8 points, 50 percent to 42 percent — it was 11 points in the 2016 exit poll.

What’s more, Biden holds a 25-point lead among women with college degrees, while Trump is ahead by just 5 points among women without college degrees.

Bottom line: If Trump is really losing all female voters by anywhere close to 20 points, it’s going to be hard for him to win the 2020 presidential election, especially if he maintains his ’16 support among men.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Ivanka Trump was uninvited to speak at commencement for Wichita State University Tech college. I don't know what they were thinking when they invited her. They advertise their racial diversity. Now Ivanka is huffing and puffing about the "cancel culture".