What do authors post on Instagram?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
So, I've made an Instagram account, and as I'm looking up other writers and writing related hashtags. One person suggested posting pictures of where the story takes place, but mine takes place in the future. I was thinking something along the lines of writing supplies, books I'm reading, but that's about all I have. What do you guys post?

Also, am I allowed to do a cover reveal?

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I just opened my Instagram and my answer is: heaps of pictures of cats, birds and sunsets. :roll:

The best way to engage readers is to have a balance of your writing and personal lives. I scroll straight past authors who only post about their books. (I mean authors who just promote and promote and promote. Posting about writing in general is different.)

You can *definitely* do a cover reveal. My publisher actually makes social media book cover graphics for us for each of our books, and some are formatted specifically so they work on Instagram.

edit: I just followed you. :)

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I post promo for my own books, pictures of books I'm reading...

I used to post a lot of food and am known for my donut pics (lol) but much less of this now due to COVID-19. At this time of year I post a lot of flowers...

http://www.instagram.com/jackielaubooks/

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I post about the books I read—take a fun picture, often outside or with props, and write a little review. Then I use lots of hashtags to draw fans of that book/author to the post. I’m far, far, far from successful as a Bookstagrammer, partly because my reading tastes are all over the map, but it’s fun.

Then, when I have something related to my own book to promote, I do that. Also, lots of cat pics. :D

Reactions: MaryLennox

kittymowmow

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you can do a cover reveal. That works great. Post pics of futuristic art that reminds you of your setting, character inspirations, maps, jokes, writing quotes, memes, photos of your writing space, your favorite new pen, your coffee cup or pretty mug with sparkling lights and your kindle, or books you've read, your dog reading a book, bookmarks you've made, anything you can think of that has to do with writing, and when you have a cover, go to places like Headliner, Canva, or BookBrush to make ads for free with your cover and a little quote, then post.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I post about the books I read—take a fun picture, often outside or with props, and write a little review. Then I use lots of hashtags to draw fans of that book/author to the post. I’m far, far, far from successful as a Bookstagrammer, partly because my reading tastes are all over the map, but it’s fun.

Then, when I have something related to my own book to promote, I do that. Also, lots of cat pics. :D
I do this ^^^ LOL. But instead of cats, it's mostly my dog with occasional appearances by my cats. I don't really sweat the social media stuff. Some people are super into it, good for them. I'd rather be spending that time writing my next book. At the end of the day I would rather have a bunch of books I'm proud of instead of only a handful of books but an amazing social media presence. Just my own two cents.

Reactions: Fuchsia Groan