• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Narrative POV question - how strict is too strict?

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading a young adult series and there's something that bugs me. It is first person POV and all narration that is not immediately happening is framed as thoughts of the POV character. For example, the story skips ahead in weeks or even years thus the need for a quick catch-up narration of what has changed. Such narration is always then brought back to present by saying how POV character realising her mind had wandered to past events when she should be paying attention to the person talking to her - or something like that. Because this is a series of several short novels there's also quite a bit of recapping / reminding the reader what happened in previous books in the series - and still always framed as the character's thoughts in the middle of a scene.

I understand that first person POV means only presenting what that character sees, feels, knows, thinks, etc, but is it really necessary to frame all references to the past as memories the character is having?
I've even seen it done in a young adult novel written in close third person. In that case in particular it really struck me as out of character that the character was thinking about the past instead of focused on what he was doing. I felt it could have been just narration without being presented as his thoughts in that moment and thus kept his characterization intact.

It also feels somehow more disruptive to the scene somehow - even though it's adding a line that brings you back to the scene at hand. It just feels off to me when done for every single narration of this sort. Is it just me? Is this how strict first person POV is meant to be?

Here's an example from a novel that doesn't do this!
[page of dialogue, then...]
"So what would you do?"
We were having a fajita evening at Gabbie's. We've been doing it for years. We used to meet up once a month when the children were smaller, but these days we get together when we can fit it into our increasingly busy lives. We met at pre-natal classes. We've supported each other through backache, heartburn, teething, sleepless nights, dodgy marriages and messy divorces. Remarkably we're all still friends.
Spread out over Gabbie's kitchen was the debris of wrap-them-up-yourself fajitas, tortilla chips, sour cream, salsa... [etc]

So in the current series I'm talking about the author would have added in between "still friends" and "Spread out over.." something like, "I pulled my thoughts away from thoughts of all we'd been through together and back to the question at hand."
I just don't see that it's needed and therefore seems clunky and silly. Am I wrong?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You're not wrong. Some writers have a very rigid approach to POV. Others have one that's more flexible. Some writers have the skill to pull off a rigid approach in a graceful way. This one apparently does not.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
My novel is 3rd person close, i.e. we only see what the main character sees. However, because I'm in third instead of first I just go ahead and describe things with narration if the character can see / notice / know it and the reader needs to know.

Even in first person I think it's fine. Honestly I think what you're seeing is more that a writer is confusing first person with second person. If you're using the conceit that a story is being told to a listener that exists in the world of the story then you might have to talk about how the point of view character is narrating things to the listener.

Honestly it sounds like someone just not very familiar with points of view thinking they had to do something because they got first and second person confused.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The example you gave reads fine without the 'splainy sentence, so I think you're on the money, Lone Wolf. I could imagine that sort of sentence being useful now and then, but if it's every instance it would start to draw attention to itself.