Dan Moren's The Aleph Extraction

AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: 'The Tiffany Problem' and Representation

Threaded View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

'The Tiffany Problem' and Representation

“the Tiffany problem” is a phenomenon noted by Jo Walton as the conflict between an audience’s ideas of a time and the actual historical truths, such as how the name ‘Tiffany’ is seen as ‘modern’, even though it dates back to medieval England and France.
    Became very relevant when I was writing up an excerpt from my current project to submit for a university module, and I nearly came to blows with certain family members I let look at the draft that were determined I should not have a character use they/them pronouns in 1994, one of them saying it was like 'having a microwave be used in Downing Street', and that my blatant anachronism would be marked down.
    Proud to say I stood my ground without telling them to get [REDACTED], but ooh lord it was close. Anyone else dealt with similar resistance or backlash couched in 'historical accuracy'?
    Last edited by LuaVerena; 06-02-2020 at 12:58 AM. Reason: double checked about language, better safe than sorry