U.S. police have attacked journalists at least 100 times in the past four days

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Via Niman Lab: U.S. police have attacked journalists at least 100 times in the past four days

Although in some incidents it is possible the journalists were hit or affected accidentally, in the majority of the cases we have recorded the journalists are clearly identifiable as press, and it is clear that they are being deliberately targeted (Bellingcat).

* We've seen Trump attack "the media," particularly women of color.

* We've seen many police officers use profiling to target, harass and kill people of color

* Now they're going after the media for reporting about their crimes.

If you watch some of the video shown live on TV as journalists, even within assigned press areas, are physically attacked, pepper sprayed and harassed for reporting about protests regarding the police officers who killed George Floyd, it's very clear that this is a chilling effect in action. The arrest of CNN's Omar Jimenez and his crew, but not Josh Campbell, the white reporter with them, is telling.

Be vigilant. Speak out, speak up, witness and record.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. We were watching things unfold live on TV in Australia this morning. One moment Australian reporters were being beaten, and the next moment Trump was marching out to pull his Bible stunt. Every day things get worse …

My family is from the former USSR, and I was very personally attached to Ukraine's Euromaidan revolution in 2013-14. What's being done to journalists in the United States now is the sort of thing you expect to see from Kremlin-backed puppet governments in the former Soviet Union.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Prime Minister Scott Morrison calls for investigation after 7NEWS reporter and cameraman assaulted in US riots

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has demanded an investigation into the assault of an Australian journalist and cameraman at the hands of US Police.

7NEWS US Correspondent Amelia Brace and cameraman Tim Myers were assaulted during their coverage of riots near the White House in Washington on Tuesday morning AEST.

While live on air, Myers was struck in the chest by a riot shield and Brace was clubbed with a police baton.

Glad there's video, though will it make a difference?

The cops know they're being filmed and they don't care. A few have been fired, but the rampant violence against peaceful protesters and members of the media is still happening unchecked.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
I think Morrison's statement is more of a token gesture than anything. Australia making a point we're not happy (plus Morrison's a staunch conservative who wasn't willing to speak up against Trump until the opposition called him out for his silence). I know the assault on the Channel 7 reporters was just one of many on foreign and US journalists, but the attention it has earned has at least reminded people that the world really is watching - and caught up in it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
US journalists, reporters, producer, camerapeople etc wearing flak jackets, kevlar helmets and eye protection to report from inside the US. They are not only reporting from a dangerous situations, they are the targets. And I'd bet my last Transformer the occupent of the White House loves every minute of it.