• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can I have two similar names for characters in two different scripts?

Pinkarray

Registered
Reaction score
I have been considering naming a character "Lara" or "Lora" or something like that in my teleplay but I realize that that sounds like another one of my characters in a totally different screenplay named "Laura". I'm worried that being the same writer of two stories would confuse people when they talk about the characters names. But what do you think? Should I name my character "Lora" in this script even though I already have a character called "Laura" in another script?

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I thought you were going to say that you had a Lara/Lora and a Laura in the same story - that would definitely be confusing. I can't see any reason not to have similar names in two different stories though. The exception would be if both stories were part of a series or in the same universe or if they're in some other way connected, as that could lead to readers confusing them.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I thought you were going to say that you had a Lara/Lora and a Laura in the same story - that would definitely be confusing. I can't see any reason not to have similar names in two different stories though. The exception would be if both stories were part of a series or in the same universe or if they're in some other way connected, as that could lead to readers confusing them.

In my series, three women named Lucy are mentioned. The coincidence mentioned in conversation several times throughout the books; all are separated by hundreds, sometimes thousands of years and vast distances. In the last book, it's discovered that they are all the same person.

BTW: it's a Sci-Fi series.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
In my series, three women named Lucy are mentioned. The coincidence mentioned in conversation several times throughout the books; all are separated by hundreds, sometimes thousands of years and vast distances. In the last book, it's discovered that they are all the same person.

BTW: it's a Sci-Fi series.

Is one of them an Australopithecus from 3.2 million years ago? I'd totally read that! Actually it sounds like a really clever plot thing* even if they're all from historical times.

*I'm a science grad I don't know all the technical terms

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose if they are in a completely different series, I don't have a problem with similar names. I read a lot of historical romances, from various writers, and they probably use the same dozen names between them.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Use the names that work for you. Different stories, not an issue.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The only risk is that viewers might assume some connection between Laura and Lora (esp since the 2 names sound the same) -- but if there's nothing else to link them or make people believe they're the same person this shouldn't be a problem. As long as the same actor doesn't play both characters, don't worry about it!

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
It's not uncommon for me to change character name part way through, or after the first draft, or even during editing. Sometimes the name I picked doesn't really fit the character as they came out on the page. It's not a big deal - find & replace are my friends... I suggest that you not use them globally though.