Comp Titles

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this, so mods please feel free to place it where you think it should go.. Thanks!!!

So, I have discovered that I am terrible at coming up with comp titles for my books. I had trouble with my last book (which was honestly an easier one to peg) and am having a terrible time with this one. I have been researching and reading books for the past 6moths to a year, trying to find some that would comp well to mine. I have one - The Haunting of Hill House. It's at least a recent show, even if the book is old, and does speak to the creepy house factor of my book. The second one though is a complete fail.

I think the problem is that I can find books (YA) with similar elements that are fairly recent: Monsters / demons and witchcraft, but my book takes place in 1890 North Carolina, and that's what I think is killing me the most. Most of the books I'm finding are contemporary or in England or simply just very different (i.e. include romance). So my question is, is it a problem if I use a book that is in no way related to mine as far as time period or location, and if it isn't should I be looking more at mood or subject matter? For example, most of the books I've found involving witchcraft are either secondary world fantasy or paranormal romance-- mine is neither. It is a dark historical fiction.

I'm just at a total lost and feel like I may just have to list authors who fit more along the lines of mood and leave out comps altogether. My problem is that I'd like to participate in #pitmad next week and comps are kind of a major thing.

Sorry for the letter. I would really appreciate some advice from those of you who might have a better grasp on this than me!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Courtney

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I was hoping you'd get some replies as I'm in the same boat. Vampire novel set in a 1920's Michigan small town, not a paranormal romance, not exactly horror, so I don't know what books to comp with it. Most 1920's books written recently with any paranormal elements seem to be located in big cities like New York, and focus on flappers and bootleggers and gangs...mine doesn't have that focus, although I do have a bootlegger involved with a Chicago gang, but that's just a small subplot. Cat Winters writes historical paranormal books; no vampires but hers are about the closest to compare with mine, so I'm going the route of readers who enjoy books from so and so author will enjoy my book. Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's very long Saint-Germain vampire series is another whom I'm comparing mine with because of the vampire and the historical settings in her books. I'm hoping those are suitable comps, one well-known author and one lesser known.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I struggle trying to figure out comps myself, so I can’t give much helpful advice. But PitMad was today on Twitter, and that’s a great chance to see how other people are using comps. There are lots of THIS TITLE + THAT TITLE, or BIG TITLE in alternate-time-or-genre. Looking through that hashtag might help spark some ideas.

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

This is what I went with. I'm not sure how well it works, but it was the best I could do.

It would appeal to readers who enjoy atmospheric, gothic tales in the vein of Shirly Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House and historical fantasies with a diverse cast such as Libba Bray’s The Diviners series.:Shrug:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I might try tightening it up, but that works.

You probably aren't getting much response to this thread because a lot of people find comps really tough. When they see the thread is about comps, it's like they were just reminded they have this really hard homework assignment they should be doing, so they quickly jump to a less intimidating thread. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
JJ nailed it--comps are hard.

At one point I comped Greta Thunberg and the X-Men, neither of which are recent books but it sort of gets the idea across.

Another thing you can try is to look at 'favorite books' under the agents (I think some do this on MSWL.com) and see if yours fits those.

EX: if an agent loves a YA witchy book already on the shelves, see if you could comp that lone title and add 'but set in 1890 North Carolina.' Or go more atmospheric in that bit.

I agree with JJ about tightening, too. I've heard you can also do 'fans of Shirly Jackson and Libby Bray will enjoy this story."

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, trying to think of comps sucks. I’ve been compiling a list of potential comps for my latest novel as I read new novels, but it’s hard to know what exactly works. I think I heard somewhere that it can be helpful to comp for specific aspects of a book if you’re having a hard time with it. Like, if it’s a coming of age mystery, one comp being a coming of age story and another being a mystery. I’m of course no expert though.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Comps don't even have to be books, necessarily. We pitched Priest of Bones as "The Godfather with swords" and it sold to PRH!