George Floyd

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of bad apples, a gang of looters has descended on my city now. Definitely not protesters. There was a small protest group downtown.

Looks like the looting was planned. They went for the Bellevue Square Mall: multiple entrances, front back and sides, and from the parking garage there are two levels of entrances, including more upper floor entrances on one side. Then there are two floors of stores, double aisles so four rows of stores on two levels, with more stores in a perpendicular branch. And there is a bridge entrance to the mall across the street, also broken into.

They've also tried to get into several nearby pharmacies. They've entered a bank but my guess is that was a waste of time. They are trying to split police resources up.

The police chief, who I know, is saying they were as prepared as they could be. I believe that. The National Guard has been called in to help.

This is going to be a one-off though I won't be surprised if they hit another city or mall next weekend.

Police are saying this was an organized gang and I believe it.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He said, "Known gang members," dropping the racist dog-whistle in the first sentence of his statement. SMH

I'm not so sure Elaine, this isn't like what's going on in Seattle. There was a handful of protesters. This group of looters outnumbered the protesters. They clearly communicated with each other and they are acting more in unison than not.

It's not like there aren't gangs in the area, not many in Bellevue so they had to have had transportation in.

I don't know about your neighborhood but in mine we've been hit nightly with car prowls and mail thefts, and I don't mean the city, I mean pretty much every neighborhood and every night. Burglaries are pretty common and smash and grabs common at a number of nearby parking lots.

Those are not gang activities, those are just the addicts trying to support their drug habits.

This was planned. Who do you think planned it and who do you think the dog whistle was directed to? No one here is running for office. And we are a blue state.

Last edited:

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to preface this by saying that I've known and worked with many, many superbly fine police officers; and I'm proud that I still know some of them.

BUT:

When there is a problem with an officer who should be fired, but keeps his job, it is most often either because the chief and command staff are corrupt and need to be fired (which happens sometimes, particularly in small towns), or:

The police officers' union prevents the firing.
This is a HUGE problem in police departments and correctional facilities across the country--research, for example, Rikers Island. It does no good to bring in a reforming chief, or warden, or director, when he/she does not have the power to get rid of egregious offenders. Correctional facilities in particular are plagued by these unions, and the result is that abusers, rapists and racists keep their jobs. Even worse is the effect on morale when their conduct goes unpunished: young officers learn from them, and good officers learn to look the other way because reporting is useless and can bring retaliation.

Unless Congress moves to strip the police unions and correctional officer unions of some of their powers--or bans these unions altogether--and makes law enforcement into at-will employment only, police reform will continue to be sporadic and often completely ineffective.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This was planned. Who do you think planned it and who do you think the dog whistle was directed to? No one here is running for office. And we are a blue state.

Blue for now... Remember, there are challengers gunning to flip Washington red (as I'm sure there are challengers across the nation trying to flip blue to red, for the crime of defiance.) They're going after Inslee. They were using his response to the pandemic as one lever. Would not be a bit surprised if this had their fingerprints on it somewhere... and you can bet they'll use this even if they weren't directly involved.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm not so sure Elaine, this isn't like what's going on in Seattle.
Yeah, but it's not like there haven't been years, decades, centuries of this "known gangs" scare tactic deployed by law enforcement, especially against predominantly black gangs. The dog whistle is directed to the residents of Bellevue, not exactly a welcoming city for black folks unless you're a famous athlete. We've been taught fear by authorities since the first slaves tried to escape their plantations, and he well knows what people of his city will think of first when they hear those two words together.

So is he saying the crips and bloods organized a caravan from the CD to Bellevue to rob the mall? Did they flash signs? Were they wearing colors? I ask because he wasn't specific, but he said they're "known." Or were they Asian gang members? Hispanic? South Asian? White? What? Instead of being specific, he left it there, a little neutron bomb planted in minds predisposed toward racism.

It was a *stupid* thing for the Chief of Police to say in the midst of protests sparked by a black man getting murdered on camera by a white police officer. That's all I'm saying. Now is the time for responsible communication.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are well-known shoplifting rings. These are many individuals who work together to prepare a heist. Some will distract store security while others pile on the merchandise while others wait outside in cars so the thieves can run out with the stuff and jump in and get away right away. The cellphone is what enables this close operation. Maybe that was what the official was referring to.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump's nonsense about Antifa being behind the protests is just like Nixon claiming the Commies were behind all the war protests.

But this is some scary shit: CBS News: Trump tells "weak" governors they "have to dominate" as civil unrest divides the nation

One participant on the call described the president's words and tone as "unhinged."

"You have to dominate, if you don't dominate you're wasting your time. They're going to run over you. You're going to look like a bunch of jerks. You have to dominate," the president told governors.

The president said that the violence "is coming from the radical left — you know, it everybody knows it — but it's also looters, and it's people that figure they can get free stuff by running into stores and running out with television sets. I saw it — a kid has a lot of stuff, he puts it in the back of a brand new car and drives off. You have every one of these guys on tape. Why aren't you prosecuting them? Now, the harder you are, the tougher you are, the less likely you're going to be hit."
Trump hid in his bunker last night.

ABC: The Latest: Trump to governors -- “Most of you are weak”
Attorney General Bill Barr is also on the call and telling governors they have to “dominate” the streets and control, not react to crowds. He’s calling on them to “go after troublemaker” and use “adequate force.”

As for the looters, they hit stores in multiple locations in Bellevue, Tukwila, and Renton. None of them were related to the protesters.

There were more involved than just those in gangs, but I don't agree that the claim gangs were involved in the looting is anything like claiming Antifa and Commies "were behind the protests". They weren't looting things for their own and their friends use. They targeted jewelry and expensive clothes to sell. And they targeted the drug stores, not sure if they got the narcotics they were after but I imagine they did. Protesters were not involved in the organized looting that went on here last night.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are well-known shoplifting rings. These are many individuals who work together to prepare a heist. Some will distract store security while others pile on the merchandise while others wait outside in cars so the thieves can run out with the stuff and jump in and get away right away. The cellphone is what enables this close operation. Maybe that was what the official was referring to.

Exactly. So would calling them "organized rings" have been a lesser dog whistle?

Sadly, I heard some of the reporters this morning conflating all the looting with the protests. It needed to be communicated this looting in particular had nothing to do with the protests except the looters used the protesters as a police distraction.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's not like there haven't been years, decades, centuries of this "known gangs" scare tactic deployed by law enforcement, especially against predominantly black gangs. The dog whistle is directed to the residents of Bellevue, not exactly a welcoming city for black folks unless you're a famous athlete. We've been taught fear by authorities since the first slaves tried to escape their plantations, and he well knows what people of his city will think of first when they hear those two words together.

So is he saying the crips and bloods organized a caravan from the CD to Bellevue to rob the mall? Did they flash signs? Were they wearing colors? I ask because he wasn't specific, but he said they're "known." Or were they Asian gang members? Hispanic? South Asian? White? What? Instead of being specific, he left it there, a little neutron bomb planted in minds predisposed toward racism.

Throughout COVID and now with this, it's been a surprising fact to me that the street gangs are the ones actively policing the neighborhood and pushing out the element here to cause trouble. There have been a lot more gangs lately, but they seem to be at an armistice right now and and focused entirely on rogues looking to harass families and locals. Don't start any won't get any. They are sure as hell not the ones causing the looting and breeding distrust here in Little KoreaBangladeshHondurasTown.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful forum heading, really stands out!

... They are sure as hell not the ones causing the looting and breeding distrust here in Little KoreaBangladeshHondurasTown.
Interesting.

I don't want to get sidetracked on a discussion of gangs. It belongs in a different thread. I'll have to do some research on the recent shootings here in the Seattle area for that discussion. One thing is sure, the increase in drug use has a big part in all of it.

My son reminded me how much of a symbol the Bellevue Square Mall is as a luxury business location. I can't recall the last time I shopped there. The last time I was actually in that mall it was to donate some new shoes for a third world country (one of the stores was a drop-off spot). Almost all the stores are high-end. Whenever I have been there I have to wonder, who buys that stuff?

There were other 'luxury' stores looted in other cities. I don't think that was just because the looters could get expensive items. I agree with my son there was some symbolism there. On that point I think there was some validity in the message, even if the message was inadvertent.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Independent autopsy finds George Floyd died of asphyxia

An independent autopsy ordered by George Floyd's family found his death was a "homicide caused by asphyxia due to neck and back compression that led to a lack of blood flow to the brain," according to early findings from the examination released Monday.

Floyd was apprehended by police officers in Minneapolis, Minnesota, last Monday, and one of the officers pinned his knee to Floyd's neck, as he called out that he couldn't breathe.

The independent examiners found that weight on the back, handcuffs and positioning were contributory factors because they impaired the ability of Floyd's diaphragm to function, according to the report. The report concluded that Floyd, 46, died at the scene.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent interview with Christiane Amanpour, where
Houston Police Chief @ArtAcevedo: “Let me just say this to the President of the United States, on behalf of the police chiefs of this country: please, if you don’t have something constructive to say, keep your mouth shut.”
- but he says a lot more besides.

Will find the link when I've had First Coffee...

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to get sidetracked on a discussion of gangs. It belongs in a different thread.
Exactly. Entrenched, systemic racism that is protected by police brutality (as demonstrated in full view by the public murder of George Floyd) has a lot more to do with what's going on right now.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh.my.gawd. Listening to the Idiot in Chief on his conference call with the governors that was recorded in bizarro world.

Predictably the GOP governors are chatting Baby Trump up, agreeing that all the instigators are from some out of state, well organized, evil antifa group (makes one wonder just which state they are all coming from) and they hope to see them "taken out" (Rep gov. South Carolina). They are all going on about prosecuting "these people" yada yada. That half of the country wants an armed military response.

One of the Democratic governors called him out, telling Baby Trump his rhetoric is making things worse. Trump's reply was predictable, he said the murder of Floyd was wrong, that should be all he needs to do.

Enough of that, moving on to what Roxxsmom posted about:

NBC News: White nationalist group posing as antifa called for violence on Twitter
Other misinformation and misleading claims spread across Twitter on Sunday night and into Monday related to the protests....

A Twitter account claiming to belong to a national “antifa” organization and pushing violent rhetoric related to ongoing protests has been linked to the white nationalist group Identity Evropa, according to a Twitter spokesperson.

The spokesperson said the account violated the company's platform manipulation and spam policy, specifically the creation of fake accounts. Twitter suspended the account after a tweet that incited violence.

As protests were taking place in multiple states across the U.S. Sunday night, the newly created account, @ANTIFA_US, tweeted, “Tonight’s the night, Comrades,” with a brown raised fist emoji and “Tonight we say 'F--- The City' and we move into the residential areas... the white hoods.... and we take what's ours …”
But according to Baby Trump and his sycophants, there is some big national antifa group instigating violence. Maybe this nonsense is where Trump got his nonsense from.

Then there were the WA DC atrocities because Baby Trump needed a photo op in front of the Episcopal Church.

Twitter: Watch the shocking moment #7NEWS reporter @AmeliaBrace and our cameraman were knocked over by a police officer LIVE on air after chaos erupted in Washington DC. Quite violent.

It gets worse: The Episcopal bishop of DC – who oversees the DC church Trump just stopped at – tells the @washingtonpost she is "outraged" and that neither she nor the rector was asked or told… “that they would be clearing with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop.." 1/3
Replying to @mboorstein..holding a bible, one that declares that God is love and when everything he has said and done is to enflame violence. I am beyond. We need moral leadership and he’s done everything to divide us and has just used one of the most sacred symbols of the Judeo-Christian tradition."2/3

We so disassociate ourselves from the messages of this president. We hold the teachings of our sacred texts to be so so grounding to our lives and everything we do and it is about love of neighbor and sacrificial love and justice." @Mebudde Bishop Mariann Budde 3/3

On the sane world front the Democratic governors and lots and lots of police and police departments were respectful and caring, doing the best they could to control the looters and vandals. Lot's of uplifting images in the news and on social media to counter the police that still don't get it, many of whom need to be fired.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Antifa is the Right Wing's boogeyman, their bait and switch, whenever anyone starts talking about White Nationalists and other far-right organizations that incite violence. "But, but, but ... ANTIFA!" they cry. Look, I'm not a fan of Antifa, but maybe the Right needs to clean their own house of organizations that incite violence and condone domestic terrorism before they start worrying so much about leftist groups.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
On the sane world front the Democratic governors and lots and lots of police and police departments were respectful and caring, doing the best they could to control the looters and vandals. Lot's of uplifting images in the news and on social media to counter the police that still don't get it, many of whom need to be fired.
And shortly after some of those uplifting moments, police gassed and/or beat the peaceful protesters and media.

Sorry to be a downer, but some of that was just for show. I'm still seeing videos of cops violently attacking peaceful protesters, even those who are kneeling, restrained, fleeing.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday evening, long before curfew, Richmond City police tear gassed peaceful protesters gathered in the lawn around the Lee statue. The crowd included children and senior citizens. There was no order to disperse, no warning whatsoever.
https://twitter.com/KBurnellEvans/status/1267601158534815745?s=20

The officers have been "pulled from the field" and are being disciplined. https://www.wavy.com/news/local-new...or-deploying-tear-gas-on-peaceful-protesters/

A man who verbally challenged the police from inside his home was maced through the open window. Yes he's cursing but isn't that free speech?
https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-new...s-richmond-officer-macing-man-inside-his-home

I can't even. I feel like a hypocritic hunkered down in my middle-class suburban neighborhood, which is about 10-15% POC. Yet even we had threats that shut down nearby stores on Sunday night. (Did I mention my county's nicknamed "Arresterfield"...?)

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
R.I.P. Mr. Floyd.

I'd like to offer this as a brief, heartfelt eulogy. It's from Shakespeare's Richard II.

"O! but they say the tongues of dying men
Enforce attention like deep harmony:
Where words are scarce,
they are seldom spent in vain,
For they breathe truth that breathe their words in pain."

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I can't even. I feel like a hypocritic hunkered down in my middle-class suburban neighborhood, which is about 10-15% POC. Yet even we had threats that shut down nearby stores on Sunday night. (Did I mention my county's nicknamed "Arresterfield"...?)

I know what you mean. We probably have more diversity than that (though I've never counted) in our neighborhood, which is outside of the Sacramento City limits (so no curfew here), and it's been really quiet. However, sometimes you we can hear sirens erupting off in the distance, and not so many blocks away, there have been protests, along with some violence and looting (and I wish the media would stop conflating looters and protesters, because they are generally not the same groups of people). A friend who lives in a much more rural area of the county actually had some vandalism on her property last night, though it's impossible to know if it's random, or somehow related to the protests, or if it's an opportunist, or even some White nationalists trying to stir up local backlash against protests happening miles away (the latter does not seem unlikely to me in a rural area). The police have mostly exercised restraint so far, and a few even "took a knee" in front of protesters on the Capitol lawn. The memory of Stephon Clarke's murder (for which no officer was charged, or even indicted) is still a raw wound.

The thing that's disheartening is the reaction of so many White people I know. They're focused on the violence and looting but not at all on the issue of police brutality or systemic racism, nor are they acknowledging the fact that the majority of the protesters are peaceful and want to be heard. Obviously, the violence and looting are bad and should be condemned, but these things are not happening in a vacuum. A man was murdered, and the police officer who did it (and his colleagues who stood by) can't even claim it was a "split second" decision.

It was brutal. It was deliberate. It cannot be written off as a split-second decision. Then what did the local coroner's office do--they tried to cover it up by concocting evidence that Floyd had underlying medical conditions that contributed to his death. And this is not unique either.

It should be considered murder by anyone's definition, and many White people are ignoring that fact. And those who aid, abet, and cover up murderers are criminals too.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
It gets worse: The Episcopal bishop of DC – who oversees the DC church Trump just stopped at – tells the @washingtonpost she is "outraged" and that neither she nor the rector was asked or told… “that they would be clearing with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop.." 1/3

What that photo up tells about this POTUS.

‘He’s holding the Bible upside down’: Trump called out for church photo op amid George Floyd protests
https://www.freepressjournal.in/wor...or-church-photo-op-amid-george-floyd-protests

However, the photo op drew backlash on social media. Besides not mentioning Floyd or the prevailing agony over racism, Trump was called out for not just using the Bible to make a statement but also holding it upside down.

He had ONE job at that photo op. Just ONE...

-cb

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What that photo up tells about this POTUS.

‘He’s holding the Bible upside down’: Trump called out for church photo op amid George Floyd protests
https://www.freepressjournal.in/wor...or-church-photo-op-amid-george-floyd-protests

He had ONE job at that photo op. Just ONE...

-cb

Cloaking himself in the armor of the Lord is backfiring, as Trump's second trip to a church in as many days didn't go much better than his first. At least nobody got gassed this time.

I hear you on the "white folks in the suburbs," as I sit inside and hear the occasional helicopter and watch on the news. We all have to make our choices as to how involved we get. Just because we are not there at the police line doesn't mean we are doing nothing, but can we fool ourselves that our own version of "thoughts and prayers" or armchair rage is doing anything? Not all of us can be doing the same things. Do what you do, get out of your comfort zone and do more, and make it count. Whatever it is.

Last edited: