June 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Layla: Yay words and review! Whatcha reading now?

Pterofan: I did not know that about Loki ... I'm definitely signing up for Disney plus when that happens!

Keithy: WOO, you did it! Amazing job!

Finished my proofing and wrote 1k for Book 3. I've got the final couple of scenes planned out so I'll write them Mon/Tues, then begin the gargantuan task of turning this heap of crap into something resembling a book.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on that 100 Ptero (we got slammed here with rain today)
Keithy, congrats on all those words, and the FINISHING :)
April, proofing - I fear it. Congrats on the 1K new words, too (I just read The Hunger Games like 6 or 7 times in a row, after reading it once about 3-4 years ago, and right now I’m reading Trudi Canavan’s Black Magician trilogy - also a re-read)

Day 28

WIP - added words, had to actually write out my MC’s class schedule, grid & all
R/SC - walk in the woods
BP/$$ - wee bit more work on the shades project; job - 6 hrs

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I did not accomplish much in the way of writing this weekend. I participated in #cpmatch on twitter and had 5 show interest. Of those, I think 2-3 may end up as decent matches for a critique/writing partner.

I hope to get much more writing in this week. Best of luck to all.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Layla: Did you reread the whole trilogy or just the first book? I couldn't put down the first, but wasn't so big a fan from around half way through the second. Happy scheduling!

Robert: Good luck with those potential CPs. It can be a long journey to find a good match.

I wrote 2300 to finish my first draft. WOOOOOOP! It is a stunted thing, sitting at just under 39k (my books are around 55k), but it's there at least. I've started planning the outline for the second draft. Onwards!

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Layla: ah nice! Really important to get those timeline details ironed out.

K Robert: hope you manage to get more writing done but good job on getting some CP interest. Fingers crossed for you!

April: YAY!! That's awesome. Sure you have scenes to add but it's so good to have the beginning, middle and end sitting pretty on the page. Onwards, indeed!

Day 29

Finished going over the very quick tidy up/edits of the first draft. I have improved the ending (which just about any changes would have done it was god awful before ><) and now think I'm going to rest the MS for a while. Doing this June challenge has been so awesome to keep me motivated, been so great hearing how everyone's been progressing. If anyone is planning on doing the same for July, good luck!

Day 29

- - - Updated - - -

Layla: ah nice! Really important to get those timeline details ironed out.

K Robert: hope you manage to get more writing done but good job on getting some CP interest. Fingers crossed for you!

April: YAY!! That's awesome. Sure you have scenes to add but it's so good to have the beginning, middle and end sitting pretty on the page. Onwards, indeed!

Day 29

Finished going over the very quick tidy up/edits of the first draft. I have improved the ending (which just about any changes would have done it was god awful before ><) and now think I'm going to rest the MS for a while. Doing this June challenge has been so awesome to keep me motivated, been so great hearing how everyone's been progressing. If anyone is planning on doing the same for July, good luck!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 28 - 254 words (finally counted the longhand)

Got the assignment done and out. I'm sure I'll find an excuse not to write tomorrow. I know--I'll go out for groceries and then fix the storm drain. For July I'm going to try to train myself to write when I first get up, so it's out of the way by breakfast.

April - Disney has a couple Marvel-themed shows in the works--Loki, WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier--but production got pushed back because of the pandemic. According to Google, Loki's show might debut in spring 2021. All things subject to change.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hello KR
April, just the first book. (I own it, libraries are closed & all) I didn’t think books 2 & 3 were much to write home about. Congrats on your 2300 & finishing :)
hj, congrats on those edits
Ptero, congrats on the 254 & on getting the work out

Day 29
WIP - added some words(!) Only a few, but - I could have just quit/taken the easy road etc
R/SC - wrote two checks & got the envelopes ready, did some prep so I can be out the door quick tomorrow morning
BP/$$ - job, 12.5 hr

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
April - congrats on getting that first draft done! As you say, onwards.
Hjrey - yes, it's a good idea to put a draft aside for a little while. It refreshes the brain.
Layla - you've done many words again :)

I did 364 words on Dustworld. Etia and Rodney have been taken by the slavers. Her fate is arguably much less pleasant than his. She's going to be a slave soldier, he a slave in a harem. One job has better food.
That's 20K done on that.

I'm going to do my best to do nothing for the rest of this week, although I am itching to do more and also start on Demon Hunter. Besides, we have builders coming Thursday, prepare for noise and disruption.

keep swimming!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on goals met and goals-travelled-toward, one and all! You have crushed it this month, and deserve a trophy!

:Trophy: :banana: :partyguy: :hooray: :Trophy:

I've been working to make a viewpoint character more likable. At the moment this equates to two chapter overhauls (additional tweaks will be needed), and I've been mulling those overhauls for a few days, making notes, ideas, and finally today rewrote the key sections. He's more likable now. I'm not sure if this will work long terms, since he was unlikable in part for doing certain things to drive the plot and now those things (which still need to happen) aren't because of his choices--In a way he's more a victim of circumstance now, instead of a cuss intent on seeing things through to their bitter end.

But that's the beauty of word processors. A person can save drafts. I'm glad to have a rough draft of him being more likable, and will need to evaluate it in a few days.

(Also, the word count's actually inching toward 120,000, which was the original target. Today it's at 114,463.)

Last edited:

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 29 - maybe around 600 words (it's hard to estimate with the smaller notebook pages)
Day 30 - almost a full page (on the full-sized paper), so about 400 words if I'm lucky

It worked! I wrote in the morning and now don't have to feel guilty. Plus I got groceries and fixed the faulty downspout. I'm ready for the brand new month! Potassium for everybody! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

See you in July.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
hjrey: Nice job finishing your edits.

Layla: Well done for not taking the easy road! You'd make a worthy tribute.

Keithy: Good luck trying to do nothing :)

Woolly: Great job with the revision.

Pterofan: Yay for 1k!

I fleshed out my Draft 2 outline. Tomorrow (i.e. next month) I'll have another peek at it before diving back in. BRING ON JULY.