Trump trying to shut down Twitter after fact-checking labels

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Donald Trump's move against Twitter factchecking could backfire
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...e-against-twitter-factchecking-could-backfire

Donald Trump’s apparent plans to punish Twitter for appending a factcheck to his claims that mail-in ballots would be “substantially fraudulent” could reshape the web – but not necessarily in the ways he or his supporters intend. Trump’s expected avenue of attack focuses on section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. That law underpins much of how the internet is regulated in the United States, by effectively creating the hybrid publisher/platform model that has become the norm for social media companies worldwide.

He got flagged, not censored.

But the regulation could backfire, at least in terms of creating the internet Trump desires. By barring social media companies from using the nuanced forms of moderation they currently employ, the executive order could force them to resort to heavy-handed actions: deleting posts, or blocking users, rather than simply factchecking or reducing the reach of the worst material.

... like deleting Trump's Twitter account? This could be fun.

-cb

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
You know they'll never delete his accounts; they're too lucrative and draw too many hits.

It's everyone else who is more likely to be throttled and censored, because the social media magnates always roll over to the Oval Office occupant in the end.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The amazing thing about social media is that all the platforms have their own way of being intentionally awful, and yet they all seem to lean into the pattern of incremental RW radicalization. Musings after a day of wondering how I get Youtube to stop recommending all these gamer Nazis because I watched one trashy 'top five worst' video one time.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm seriously worried about the GOP's already strong desires to hamstring Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.

Section 230 has a lot to do with the fact that AW is still extant despite the intense efforts (and current intense efforts) of some low-lifes.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
Huh, that's weird. An article (from a legitimate Tech site) got flagged for "false information" when I posted it to Facebook. I wonder why it did if Zuck doesn't believe in fact checking.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Facebook also flagged and hid a video from The Lincoln Project, the never-Trump Republican group, a day after Trump complained about it. Zuckerberg is now, and has always been a very bad actor.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking of getting off Facebook for awhile. This latest nonsense from Zuckerberg encouraged me to deactivate my account. I’ll likely delete it; just want to be sure before I take that step. Zuck can peddle his ads and fake news without me.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone (Trump and his cult followers) keep yelling about how Twitter's fact-checking is a violation of the 1st amendment. Aren't they exercising their own rights under the same Constitutional amendment??? I really, really don't get it. They (finally) stepped in and decided to call him on his bs. They didn't delete the post. They didn't ban him. They just pointed out that hey, some of what he's saying isn't true.

I know the hypocrisy shouldn't surprise me anymore, but dammit, it still does.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't understand why everyone (Trump and his cult followers) keep yelling about how Twitter's fact-checking is a violation of the 1st amendment. Aren't they exercising their own rights under the same Constitutional amendment??? I really, really don't get it. They (finally) stepped in and decided to call him on his bs. They didn't delete the post. They didn't ban him. They just pointed out that hey, some of what he's saying isn't true.

I know the hypocrisy shouldn't surprise me anymore, but dammit, it still does.

Constitutional rights for me but not for thee...

Hallmark of their exclusionary brand of "patriotism".

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
They just pointed out that hey, some of what he's saying isn't true.

They didn't even do that. They just added a flag to the post linking to information about the lack of data about fraud in mail-in voting. They didn't cover the president's tweet, they didn't *say* his tweet was wrong, just added a link people didn't even have to click on.

I'm so tired of living in a country run by a man-baby.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm so tired of living in a country run by a man-baby.

It's terrifying how he's not only running the country, but being enabled by men and women fully cognizant of what they're doing, who have been straining at the leash for just this perfect-storm scenario and are now free to pursue their agenda, which is at least as damaging as anything the Oval Office occupant could dream up and often even more depraved for being calculated in cold blood, not the heat of the moment. (And even some of those heat-of-the-moment blurts by the occupant may not quite so off-the-cuff as they may seem... they all seem to generate reactions that lead us toward the same very scary destination. I'm not entirely sure he's completely unaware of the ramifications of his outbursts as some seem to say, even if he quite clearly doesn't give a dang about anyone but himself.)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
It gets better.

Trump tweets threat that 'looting' will lead to 'shooting.' Twitter put a warning label on it
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/tech/trump-twitter-minneapolis/index.html

His phrase "when the looting starts, the shooting starts," mirrors language used by a Miami police chief in the late 1960s in the wake of riots. Its use was immediately condemned by a wide array of individuals, from historians to members of rival political campaigns. Some users reported the tweet to Twitter as a rule violation. Less than two-and-a-half hours later, Twitter took action. "This Tweet violates our policies regarding the glorification of violence based on the historical context of the last line, its connection to violence, and the risk it could inspire similar actions today," the company said.

What happened to "it's like owning a newspaper, but without the debt" ?

-cb

Last edited:

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
They actually hid this one, so a user has to click on VIEW to see it. That's what *should* happen.

That Trump is out there threatening to send the military into an American city is just another push on boundaries he would love to eviscerate.

ETA: I just saw the White House tweet on my laptop, with the tag applied but the content of the tweet visible. Now I'm wondering if the application (phone vs PC) affects the visibility. Grrrr, Twitter.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Constitutional rights for me but not for thee...

Hallmark of their exclusionary brand of "patriotism".

See why also THEY don't have to wear a mask when they crow "MY body, my rights!" but YOU should never be allowed to get an abortion.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How interesting that the Giant Baby is ready to send the National Guard to Minneapolis to "assume control," when he's kept the federal government in a hands-off position throughout the COVID-19 crisis, insisting that states need to handle things themselves.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
This year's the tenth anniversary of The Social Network. Anyone up for the sequel, wherein Zuckerberg, erstwhile a kinda shitty but still identifiably human person, completes his devolution into a pallid, sweaty, eyebrowless cave worm, and before his thirty-fifth birthday has destroyed several democracies and the concept of objective reality itself? There's gunna be some genre whiplash.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
*Not that Twitter's any better. These new little flags are a pathetic move, far too late to make up for the damage that tremendously shitty company and its tremendously shitty platform has caused to, like, everything. I'll believe in Jack Dorsey's road to Damascus moment when the president's booted completely, along with the ten million Nazis.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My reaction to Twitter's move: :ROFL: :Thumbs:

Trump and his ghost Tweeter, the White House, are fighting back with all sorts of accusations they believe are equivalent.

:popcorn:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I skimmed a page or so of Trump's and the White House's Twitter feeds, (couldn't stand more than that).

I couldn't find the Tweet with Twitter's call that it was a lie but I did find a couple repeating the same lie about fraudulent voting differently worded to leave out the direct claim. But they came pretty close.

Both feeds are full of lie after lie. I'm not sure what criteria Twitter is using. It's an enormous task to keep the Liar in Chief in check.

I found one Tweet with the "Content promotes violence, view to see" on it. I recall an earlier decision on Trump's account that for free political speech reasons, Twitter wouldn't delete any of his posts or kick him off Twitter.

You can't win with Trump. Point out he's posting direct lies (whatever that means) and he floods his account with a temper tantrum.

Last edited: