Connecting the Dots: Glyphosate and COVID-19

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caveat: There’s no data here, no studies to back this up. It seems a bit far-fetched? But given the source (Stephanie Seneff is a senior researcher at MIT, albeit not credentialed in epidemiology nor chemistry), I’d call it “apparently somewhat informed speculation”, and wonder if anyone is looking into this possible connection?

https://jennifermargulis.net/glyphosate-and-covid-19-connection/

Jennfer Margulus said:

Why did Robert and Elizabeth Mar both die? A surprising hypothesis about glyphosate and COVID-19

Robert and Elizabeth Mar were a couple who lived in Seattle. They ran a popular restaurant in the section of the city called Maple Leaf [1]. Tragically, they both succumbed to COVID-19 and died within two days of each other.

The Mars were both in their 70s, so they match the profile of increased susceptibility due to older age. But perhaps a more significant factor was the fact that their restaurant was located just a few blocks from Interstate 5, an 8-lane highway where trucks, buses, and cars passed by all day long, spewing out toxic exhaust fumes.

Why would the location of their restaurant matter? My hypothesis is that the biofuel industry is inadvertently introducing glyphosate into fuels that power our cars, trucks, buses, airplanes, and ships. While it has long been known that exhaust fumes are toxic to the lungs, there has been a transformation in the fuel industry over the past decade that may have led to a critical increase in the toxicity of the fumes. Specifically, aerosolized glyphosate may be causing damage to the lungs that makes catching what should be a mild cold into a serious health crisis.

Glyphosate is the active ingredient in the pervasive herbicide, Roundup. It’s used extensively on GMO and non-GMO crops alike, both to control weeds and as a desiccant at the harvest. The waste products from these crops are the raw components that go into the biofuels.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sounds like pure paranoid conspiracy to me. People are near a road, so fuel has pesticide in it, that causes COVID? No logic, no evidence.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like pure paranoid conspiracy to me. People are near a road, so fuel has pesticide in it, that causes COVID? No logic, no evidence.

I would agree if I hadn’t read the entire article. The author lays out what she feels are the reasons to suspect a connection, and it doesn’t obviously read like “5G causes COVID” nuttery. At least, it didn’t read that way to me. For example:

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the third leading cause of death worldwide [12]. While smoking is the primary risk factor for COPD, farmers and agricultural workers are known to have an increased risk to lung disease.

A population-based study published in 2017 showed that occupational exposure to herbicides was associated with more than a 2-fold increased risk to COPD [13].

A 2020 paper, published in the Lancet, “COVID-19: consider cytokine storm syndromes and immunosuppression,” claims that “respiratory failure from acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is the leading cause of mortality” in COVID-19 infection [14].

Other research helps connect the dots: This cleverly designed study by Kumar et al., published in 2014, involved collecting air samples from farms during glyphosate application, and exposing a group of mice to these samples.

The authors noted that glyphosate exposure stimulated airway inflammation and promoted asthma-related cytokines. They summarized as follows:

Collectively, our results showed that mice continuously exposed to glyphosate developed elevated levels of eosinophils, neutrophils, and asthma-related cytokines (IL-5, IL-10, IL-13, IL-33, TSLP) compared to control groups. Exposure to glyphosate results in airway barrier damage.” [15, my emphasis]

In high doses, it is clear that glyphosate has a profound damaging effect on the lungs, even when taken orally. We know that a farmer who tried to commit suicide by drinking a cup of a glyphosate-containing herbicide formulation developed a precipitous drop in blood pressure along with hypoxia, respiratory distress, and acute pulmonary edema within a short time of admission to the hospital [16].

A meta-analysis of seven studies involving 1,813 COVID-19 patients reported several statistics on associations between ICU admission and various risk factors [17]. Shortness of breath was the strongest symptom linked to the infection. COPD was the most strongly predictive comorbidity for both severe disease and ICU admission.

In this study, people suffering from COPD had an 18-fold increased risk of ending up in the ICU. Cardiovascular disease and hypertension were also strong risk factors for severe disease, and smoking is a causal factor in both of them.

It may be mere nuttery, but the article is published to Jennifer Margulis’ blog and she’s a damned fine science journalist. I’d be a little surprised if she allowed her blog to be a source of obvious nonsense?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Anything that damages the respiratory system is going to make the effects of COVID19 worse. And, yes, people who work with pesticides are greatly at risk for a host of things.
However, why are so many fatalities in care homes and similar facilities, where there is limited exposure to traffic or pesticides?

I don't think it's nonsense or nuttery, but I suspect it's a distraction.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like b#llo#cks to me...and yes, I do have a PhD in chemistry

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m perfectly okay with “it’s probably bollocks”. :ROFL: Well, it might be a big nothingburger.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
PhD in pesticide science here (technically entomology and toxicology as co-majors), plus 20 years experience. I have never worked, nor will I, for any pesticide manufacturer.

Let's follow the "pathway to harm," or "adverse outcome pathway" if the hypothesis (that glyphosate applied to corn can survive the biofuel production process into biofuel which then survives the combusion process to be present in ambient air to where it could irritate the lungs and complicate a covid infection) is to be tested.

The biggest hurdle, and the first one I checked out, is that according to this article glyphosate and its major metabolite AMPA have half-lives in the decimal to single-digit milliseconds at 1000 Kelvin. According to this article (not peer reviewed), a diesel engine (in which biodiesel is burned; I don't know how many gasoline engines in the U.S. burn biofuel) runs at 2500 C (or 2773 Kelvin). In food safety circles, this is the "critical control point" at which the adverse outcome pathway ends; there is no further threat beyond this.

I could go on, however. All pesticides begin to break down the instant they are produced, and degradation accelerates significantly when the pesticide is diluted and even (for modern pesticides) faster once applied. Most formulations must be used within hours of mixing or the concentration is so degraded it's not as effective. The Round-Up label specifies a "re-entry interval" (the time between which it is applied and when people can re-enter the field, such as to harvest, without specialized equipment) is 12 hr, which is quite short and indicates not only low acute toxicity, but rapid degradation as well. Now, because glyphosate is systemic, it is taken up by the plant and redistributed with times to 50% reduction in concentration from 2 to about 30 days (link not peer reviewed, but this sounds right and the sources are appropriate although older). Glyphosate in row crops (with one exception: non-GMO cotton in which glyphosate can be used as a defoliant to make harvest easier. This won't work for GMO cotton resistant to glyphosate, obviously, and to my knowledge neither cotton lint nor seed are used in biofuel production) is applied early in the growing season until the crop is tall enough to no longer suffer competition from weeds. Control of the weeds is more effective when the weeds are small, too. In short, the glyphosate is applied many months before the crop is harvested. Residues at harvest should be nil, as this peer-reviewed article indicates for grains ("below the MRL" has a specific meaning; it does not mean "below detection," and without full access on my home computer to the article I can't say what residues at grain harvest they actually found).

I won't look into the possibility of glyphosate surviving the biofuel production process. The chances of glyphosate being present in auto exhaust are so remote as to not warrant further consideration. If there is a connection between glyphosate and covid, this isn't it.

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't look into the possibility of glyphosate surviving the biofuel production process. The chances of glyphosate being present in auto exhaust are so remote as to not warrant further consideration. If there is a connection between glyphosate and covid, this isn't it.

Thanks, that made sense!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for that.
I would be very surprised if the biofuel production process did not include a distillation step which would further remove any glyphosate residually present in the feedstock.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
To not think it was pure nuttery I would need any of the central assumptions demonstrated. Like testing some gas and finding pesticide in it.

Otherwise, I see nothing but elaborate fiction.

It does not matter how elaborate a fantasy is if not of the actual legs of the throne are shown to exist, let alone hold weight.

Last edited:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
An interesting plot bunny, however.

Chris P: Thank you for the information; it made a lot of good sense.