A Small Dude from a Small State

Clanoie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been writing since I was fifteen (I'm twenty-three now). Discussing how humans interact with their environment is something I try and convey in my works. I focus on fiction, but I've dabbled in poetry, and nature writing. Currently, I'm working on an environmental novel. I don't necessarily write with the intent to publish. Just writing for personal fulfillment is enough, for now...:)

I'm an avid birder, and I love photograph wildlife. Perhaps I'm a hummingbird aficionado, and I'm a firm believer in letting the grass grow long. Living in the Ocean State, there is a plethora of backyard birds to observe. Two random facts: I've ridden skateboards since the time I started writing, and I can't swim.

I'm fulfilling a Master's degree in literature at the moment, and am expected to graduate in 2022. My working thesis discusses authors like Sarah Orne Jewett, Edward Abbey, Robert Frost, and Margaret Atwood.

Excited to talk to others, and willing to beta read for anyone! :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I get to welcome you first! (Usually I'm way too slow.) Nice to meet you. You're going to be a popular person here based on that last line. The people seeking a beta are many.

Maryn, smoothing her hostess apron

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Clanoie. I also live where there's an extensive coastline--the opposite ocean than yours--but I'm originally from the landlocked BIG SKY state.

Long, long ago when I was a farm boy in Montana, guys didn't call each other "dude"--someone who dressed in funny clothes and couldn't sit a horse very well. :greenie

Best of luck with your degree and environmental writing project. I think you'll like Absolute Write.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Discussing how humans interact with their environment is something I try and convey in my works. I focus on fiction, but I've dabbled in poetry, and nature writing. Currently, I'm working on an environmental novel.

oooh! Lovely.

I'm self publishing climate fiction now, in my post-raising-children phase of life. My previous career was in research science including oil spills and the like, not much education in the humanities/literature, but still trying to help nudge things however we can toward sustainability.

I hope you find what you need, here!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Clanoie! Thanks to you I’ve now learned what environmental fiction is! Good luck with your work and with your master’s degree!

LuaVerena

Creative Creature
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders! It can be very easy to forget that writing is something that you should do first and foremost for yourself, especially nowadays when there's so much pressure to commodify or monetise every aspect of your life. I've never read an environmenal novel before, but your work sounds fascinating! I currently live in a city, but there's a park nearby that's home to a family of crows that I get a real kick out of seeing. Good luck with the Masters, and look forward to seeing you around!

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Glad you have chosen to join the AW. We hope you find it helpful. There are a lot of excellent resources to peruse, so take you time, look around and get involved.

All the best.