Hobbyist to craftsman.

TJPriceWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name's TJ, and I've been writing for many years as a hobby. Only recently, given an expanse of time and the will to do so, I've decided to begin honing my skill and, hopefully, evolve into a true craftsman.

I like to experiment with words; how they sound, how they look together, enacting endless permutations of phrase. I write poetry, short stories, plays, and I have two completed novels in a drawer. Primarily, lately, I've been writing around 5,000 word short stories that fit squarely in the genre of, if not horror, then weird fiction.

I am inspired primarily by other horror authors, especially those adept with language: specifically Stephen King, Ramsey Campbell and Nathan Ballingrud, though I do not limit myself to genres when it comes to either inspiration, work, or entertainment. Above all, I prize writers who can do interesting things with words. Among them, I include David Mitchell, T.S. Eliot, Lawrence Durrell, Jeffrey Ford, Lucius Shepard, and Tana French, to name a few.

I have never been a beta reader before, but I'd be willing to try it with the right person. I am certainly looking for beta readers of my own, from anyone interested in reading a novel to more quick fare, like short stories.

In addition to writing, I also draw lots of tiny circles, do a little bit of graphic design, and enjoy doing the crossword. I can also sometimes be found playing video games, though I am very picky about which ones.

I look forward to hearing from anyone in the community, (especially those with similar tastes! - horror can be very niche) and look forward to making use of this prodigious resource to better sharpen my craft.

Best,

TJ Price

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

LuaVerena

Creative Creature
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I adore horror and weird fiction, and while I'm not a massively experienced writer, I'd love to have a look at some of your short stories! Also curious what kind of videogames you like, I'm currently trying to get past the opening section of Bloodborne and dying repeatedly :'')

TJPriceWrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I adore horror and weird fiction, and while I'm not a massively experienced writer, I'd love to have a look at some of your short stories! Also curious what kind of videogames you like, I'm currently trying to get past the opening section of Bloodborne and dying repeatedly :'')

Hi there! Someday I'll get to that level of posting, I'm sure. Video games, for me, are limited to exploration games that allow you to encounter the story as you go along. I think they're called Metroidvanias, mostly. Those and platforming games are what I love most.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you've got a lot of cool stuff under your belt! I too enjoy drawing tiny circles :). I look forward to reading any works that you post!

Hey there! I'm sure I will eventually get to the level that will allow me to post. Someday. Thanks for the nod, look for my name in the future!

K Robert Donovan

Wishing Upon a Star...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Glad you have chosen to join the AW. It's a great site with a lot of information and helpful resources. Take a look around, get involved, and learn as much as you can to hone your craft. Best of luck to you.