Trump advisor: “Human Capital Stock” Should Get Back to Work

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://truthout.org/articles/trump-adviser-says-human-capital-stock-should-get-back-to-work/

Truthout said:
As the United States trembles on the verge of 100,000 COVID deaths and nearly 1.7 million confirmed infections — a “badge of honor” in the fetid mind of Donald Trump — the question of how we got to this horrific place stands out like a pustule on the skin of the nation. Trump has wielded outsize influence in driving this ship onto the reef, to be sure, but he has not acted alone.

Enter Kevin Hassett, current senior adviser and former chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers for the White House. Men like Hassett pollute the Trump administration from the basement to the roof deck, and they have done much to turn a terrible situation into a nigh-inescapable nightmare.

Hassett has spent the last 21 years of his career being wrong. A creature of the American Enterprise Institute, the far right think tank that sought a more violent U.S. foreign policy by way of a “new Pearl Harbor” on the eve of September 11, Hassett made a name for himself by writing a book in 1999 predicting a huge upswing in the stock market. The dot-com bubble burst before the ink on his pages was dry, and the market cratered accordingly. So much for “Dow 36,000.”

Hassett was chief economic adviser for John McCain’s doomed 2000 and 2008 presidential campaigns. He was an economic adviser for Mitt Romney’s failed 2012 presidential bid. Perhaps most tellingly, Hassett was an economic adviser for George W. Bush’s 2004 re-election campaign. Bush, of course, went on to preside over the last massive economic collapse before the current one. One senses the pattern here.

Hassett assumed his current White House role on March 20, 2020. Despite having no experience whatsoever with infectious disease modeling, he began peddling a series of shabby models that grossly downplayed the severity of the crisis. According to Hassett, there would be no more COVID deaths by mid-May.

Hassett was roundly denounced by scientists, medical professionals and various commentators for these astonishing inaccuracies, but Trump embraced his nonsense “data” with the same enthusiasm as he embraced hydroxychloroquine and the injection of disinfectants as COVID cure-alls. Within the airtight bubble of the Trump White House, Hassett played the tune the boss wanted to hear, even as the bodies piled higher and higher.

On Sunday, as the nation observed Memorial Day weekend, Hassett went on CNN to again peddle his “No Big Deal” snake oil, and did so in a way that will not be soon forgotten. “Our capital stock hasn’t been destroyed,” he said of the damage done by COVID. “Our human capital stock is ready to get back to work. There are lots of reasons to believe that we can get going way faster than we have in previous crises.”

“Our human capital stock is ready to get back to work.”

Stock (noun): farm animals such as cattle, pigs and sheep, bred and kept for their meat or milk; livestock.

Let that sink in good and deep, down through the skin and into the marrow within your bones. Hassett’s remarkable statement on Sunday puts into stark relief the reason why this disaster has unfolded as it has.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Hassett's application of the phrase "Human Capital Stock" is problematic—and guaranteed to elicit the response it did—because the designation was never meant to refer to a tangible asset that can be measured on a balance sheet. The term is meant to describe the intangible assets employees bring to the table: knowledge, experience, skills, and so on. And as such, these assets require company investment (those things we refer to as benefits such as education/training, and healthcare), which is a little something-something Republicans either outright deny responsibility for or have forgotten. My money's on the denial; iow, he said the quiet part out loud.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for them to start using arbeit macht frei.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
They're coming awfully danged close. While I haven't seen politicians using the actual phrase, I HAVE seen protester signs on social media doing so. Scary times, scary times.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for them to start using arbeit macht frei.

They're coming awfully danged close. While I haven't seen politicians using the actual phrase, I HAVE seen protester signs on social media doing so. Scary times, scary times.

They're just smart enough to reference an American bunch of losers instead - who fought to enslave human beings as "capital". The fact the big push to reopen comes as we recognize the disproportionate toll COVID-19 is taking in black lives seems more than a little coincidental.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/opinion/coronavirus-race-obesity.html

I meant what I said: The era of slavery was when white Americans determined that black Americans needed only the bare necessities, not enough to keep them optimally safe and healthy. It set in motion black people’s diminished access to healthy foods, safe working conditions, medical treatment and a host of other social inequities that negatively impact health.

This message is particularly important in a moment when African-Americans have experienced the highest rates of severe complications and death from the coronavirus and “obesity” has surfaced as an explanation. The cultural narrative that black people’s weight is a harbinger of disease and death has long served as a dangerous distraction from the real sources of inequality, and it’s happening again.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The fact the big push to reopen comes as we recognize the disproportionate toll COVID-19 is taking in black lives seems more than a little coincidental.

The big push to reopen coincides more with the coming elections and the urge to have good economic numbers by then. Everything else ends up in Trump-Don't-Care land.

-cb