Eastern Europe and Soviet Wonks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a foot in the door on the politics of the former soviet countries, trying to get a sense of the dynamics of the past and the present.
I would appreciate specific advice, titles of books and articles or links to sites with folks that can help get a grip on this formidable subject.
The problem isn't there's no material -- it that there's just so goddamn much of it and I'd appreciate some pre-filtering.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
It would help to know specifically what Soviet bloc countries you are targeting. The politics of, say, East Germany, are very different from that of say, Serbia, and both are very different from that of the USSR proper.

FYI I did patrol assignments on the East German border, and can describe some aspects of their lives first hand. There is a 2018 movie called Balloon, which is a true life documentary of a plot to escape East Germany by hot air balloon. It gives a fairly accurate depiction of life on the other side of the border.

The Soviets were in charge, and controlled the rest of the Eastern European countries within the bloc.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Eastern Europe by Tomek Jankowksi came from a small press and is riddled with typos, but is one of the best & most entertaining surveys of the region and its history I could imagine. Highly, highly recommended, especially for understanding EE's relationship to its past.

I'm more interested in the pre-Soviet era, and specifically anything dealing with the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. It's a tough subject to know where to start and be able to appraise the sources, for a whole mess of reasons.

Also gonna watch this thread, cause I'm always in the market for more recs. :D

Last edited:

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
Balloon, that takes me back. Although it doesn't have much to do with Nena, other than balloons over a divided Germany. On the subject matter, however, I'm interested in how "the East" functioned as a whole. Russia may have ruled with an iron hand, but the various countries did each find a place inside "the East". Or at least it seems that way. Echoes of that perception last until this day. When I look at the East I perceive a common culture, with a fondness for strongmen. Academia see a different picture, even when they describe the differences between the very autocrats of the Visegrad nations and the populations that support them. I found Rethinking “democratic backsliding” in Central and Eastern Europe – looking beyond Hungary and Poland an interesting read. If you're interested, there's a discussion on YouTube with the authors about the publication, audio only. I suppose my own prejudice and those in the East are exactly what is attracting me to this project, and I'm trying to develop my thinking on it. As to your tip about Eastern Europe by Tomek Jankowksi, Kjbartolotta, Amazon has it on Kindle. I'll give it a read, thank you.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
It is easy to see the countries of Eastern and Central Europe as one foggy mass, because Russia's presence is so overwhelming and huge. I remember Milan Kundera's lament that in Western history books, Jan Hus has to share his space with Ivan the Terrible, even though they belong to very different cultural traditions and wouldn't understand each other at all.

This "East as a whole" concept is probably deeply rooted in the 19th century Pan-Slavic movement, whose leader was indeed Russia. The main idea was to unite all Slavic people under the rule of the tsar and under Orthodox Christianity, and to drive the Ottomans out of the Balkans. According to this idea, Slavs who were culturally different were treated as traitors (those who were Catholic or Protestant, for example), and various efforts were made to suppress and subjugate them. Also, the 19th century Russia was incredibly ethnically diverse – there were not only Slavs of various cultures and creeds, but also Jews who belonged to various religious movements (especially in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth), Tartars, Balts, settlers from Low Countries, settlers from various German states, Mongolic people like Buryats, Oirats, Kalmyks etc. etc., and Slavophiles tended to downplay that diversity.

If you don't want to go back further than the 19th century, I would look into the history of Pan-Slavism in Russia and Slavophile nationalist movements in general, and so-called "westernism" in Russia. I think it is important to know Orthodox Christianity and thought as well (it is NOT the same as Catholicism), and the history of Jewish communities in Eastern Europe.

There are tons and tons of books about this particular corner of the world, but I'm afraid I don't have a good grasp of what is available in English. One name I can recommend is Norman Davies for Polish history – "God's Playground", and "White Eagle, Red Star: The Polish-Soviet War, 1919 – 1920" – the last one is a bit old but good.

:troll

Status
Not open for further replies.