• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Gurt Dog Press

stout

Trying to live the author's dream.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandonketchum.com
Does anyone know anything about this fledgling press, or about anyone associated with them? They don't yet have any books out, but have a few coming out imminently. My simple assumption is that they're a new press trying to get established. As I hate assuming, and love doing my research, I'm reaching out to the awesome folks on here to see if anyone has any info. Thanks in advance!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://gurtdogpress.com

I have no experience with this press, nor know anything about the folks involved. That said, there is nothing on their page that makes me confident this publisher is any different than the dozens of other presses we discuss on this forum and are generally not recommended.

Issues for me:

1. Brand new.

2. Website aimed at writers, not readers.

3. Only three titles so far, only one with a cover available.

4. The press is run by someone with writing credits but no documented experience in publishing. He might have it, but it's not reflected here.

5. One of the three authors they list shares the same last name and the owner (presumably his wife) and her debut novella is forthcoming from this press. The other person on the "About us" page is manager of a book promotion company, at least, but unknown experience in publishing.

6. Submission guidelines include the instruction to "Please ensure your manuscript has been edited to the best of your ability." We should all know how to self edit, but this makes me wonder how much editing they will provide versus how much they will put onto the author to do (or fund).

7. No details are provided on the services they provide (editing, marketing, publicity, etc.), if the books will be in print or ebooks, or how they will be distributed etc. Honestly, their submission guidelines page looks like pages for short fiction and not most novels.

I wish them well and hope they do exciting stuff, but for now they are at best a "wait and see" publisher, but if similar starts for other publishers are any indication the outlook is not promising.

Last edited: