Anyone from AW on Youtube?

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
My non-writing (sort of) art of choice is videography! About a year ago, I started a YouTube channel to help beginning writers with tricks, tips, and rules I wish I knew when I started. I've been pretty good about putting out a video every week to every-other week. I cover all sorts of stuff from editing tips to how to write a better love interest to my own personal plotting strategies.

In the time I spent as a teacher, I learned the importance of bringing creativity to the classroom and breaking the traditional direct instruction mold to really make your lessons stick. especially when it comes to teaching a creative subject, like writing. So... yeah, I get a little silly. I do a little face-to-face instruction, but also a ton of dramatizations and visual examples of what I teach. People have responded well to the approach so far!

I've had really bad luck with posts like this being taken down for some reason, so if you're interested in looking up my channel, it's The Roadside Writer.

Anyone else in the AW community on youtube? Either as an instructor/creative or just a dedicated user? Curious to see where these two communities I'm a part of intersect. I can't say I've met too many writers who also dabble with the camera! I'll be the first to admit it was WEIRD to get used to.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I have one; I'm still not clear about what I want to do with it. I've got one video up there that I posted in a blog piece, and a Dragon Naturally Speaking demo I just did for the fun of it, and a couple of others from before my decision to have a channel associated with my author brand.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Yep, I have a channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MsNoraAnne. It's pretty eclectic, though, and only occasionally touches on writing. My usual topics are puzzles, science, grad school, and vlogging. I really love being on camera, actually, but I have a hard time coming up with video ideas and the energy to film them. Mostly because I hate doing my makeup!

It also takes a lot more time than people who don't make videos realize. I spent 8 hours editing my last video, which got 55 views, so it's definitely something I just do as a hobby from time to time. My channel was once upon a time monetized, but they changed the requirements and now I'm too small.

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Unrelated answer: because we wanted to! But for real, my wife and I didn't want to live life paying off a mortgage and we wanted the freedom to travel. The bus offered a great opportunity to customize our home the way we wanted, too. Overall, we really love it. We never would have been able to move to Virginia for my wife's dream job if we didn't live in a bus.

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like an interesting mix! What's your channel name?

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Nevermind, found it! It certainly is an interesting mix. I definitely feel what you mean about putting in so much time filming/editing for such little reward. That happens to me all the time.

BigJ1

Registered
Reaction score
Saw your video there. Really nice work on the detail! An interesting channel to be sure.

Caleb Kruspe

Registered
Reaction score
A bit late I know, but I too have dabbled in youtube - though under a whole other alias. My channel can be best described as eclectic. There's some cooking videos, some model train videos, some general arts/crafts videos, but the main focus is cross stitch projects where I'm working a pattern from a magazine and posting progress/update videos as I'm going along.

Yawn of Death

How did I get a pen mark there?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aechandler.wixsite.com
Alessandra, thanks for sharing the link to your channel. It looks interesting.

I have a channel that mostly focuses on history and travel as they relate to my writing projects: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQAveWeAlPa_A3ix9avA2JA

There are some clips from a couple TV interviews I did on Robin Hood. A lot of the videos are from behind the scenes of the museum where I volunteer with the artefacts.