• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is there a good enough reason to hold back describing what a character looks like?

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
My MC has a problem with how she looks, and I wanted to reflect that in the story by holding back describing what she looks like.

Claire (MC) has online conversations with strangers where she kinda catfishes them but is completely open and honest about it. She tells them she can be anything they want, blonde, brunette, tall, short. She is their fantasy just as they are her's. She goes into detail when describing her online persona, and isn't shy about it. She'll go right down to the colour of her hoo-ha if that's what they ask for.

Now, when Claire meets her eventual HEA online, he falls for her and not one of her characters. That is when he asks her to describe herself, and that's when I finally disclose to the reader what she looks like.

Is this a good enough reason why I should hold back, or should I just tell the reader what she looks like early on?

jjhoward

Purveyor of Words
Registered
Reaction score
That actually sounds like a pretty novel idea, IMO. It adds a sense of mystery and keeps the reader second-guessing. Now you have me rethinking about my character and one of his traits that could come out later on as there really isn't any point to bring it up so early. Thank you for opening my mind.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
It's a good enough reason. That's the essence of her character. As for the more general heading, you don't have to describe your characters to a reader at all if it's not relevant. We readers have imaginations.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I agree that you should keep the readers in the dark about her appearance. Your reason sounds like a very good reason to do so.

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of keeping her appearance a secret, but I might give clues along the way. She's envious of her least favorite person's glorious, long blonde hair. Or she would really like that last macaroon, but it's another half hour on the treadmill.

Goshawk31

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the keep-them-in-suspense train. Besides, after all this fantasizing, I would imagine that describing herself would be very hard and maybe the most she could get out would be one small bit (lip shape? eye color? length of hair?). I must say your idea is intriguing. Sounds like it could be a very interesting read.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To me, the point is what is needed for that point in the story? Is an honest reveal what is going to move the plot to the next raising of the stakes? Or is holding back for a bigger surprise later? Consider what this move will mean at the 50, 75 and/or 99% point of the book. Where do you want her and the HEA to be at those points? Will this particular turn of events get them there?

Incidentally, I really like the idea. There's lots that can be done with it.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Why does she have to describe herself in text? This is the age of facetime and zoom and unlimited messages and data. Can't she just send a pic?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
That might be useful for the story - in her scams, she describes herself, becomes what the customer wants, makes herself over in their mental image of her.
With the HEA asks what she looks like, she sends him a picture. Worth a thousand words, they say.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the reader is in Claire's POV, they're likely to feel cheated. A woman so unsure of her appeal that she urges online partners to imagine her as their fantasy woman is likely to think of her appearance more than someone who is content with her looks. She's going to express doubts and failings in her thoughts. some of them about what she perceives as specific shortcomings. (Of course he'd imagine 36DDD, when her 40Bs were already drooping at a young age. And red hair, always the red, clearly superior to boring brown.)

As already mentioned, it feels off for her to describe herself to a man who's fallen for her real self. Images are so easy to share that anybody even marginally computer literate is going to show or send a picture.

Maryn, aware this isn't good news and sorry about that

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm of the all-things-are-possible persuasion, and I don't think it hurts to try writing it the way you want and see what you think when you're done.

I will say as described it sounds like it'll be extremely difficult to do this without irritating the reader - but difficult is not impossible, and if your story is telling you it wants to be written like this, I say give it a shot. If you don't like the result? You can fix anything in revisions.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'll make one more vote for write your story and then have a look at it. Story comes first, so it doesn't matter if you don't have a good story. And then it will rely on treatment. As I said, readers have imaginations, and they will layer in their own insecurities. I do agree with Maryn that internal monologues are fraught with self-doubt, especially in this situation, so your execution will be difficult. I think it can be done though.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All this reminds me of the book Will Grayson, Will Grayson, in which (not a spoiler; it's in the book description) two different characters with the same name live similar lives, and it's not revealed until about 33% in that the two POVs are different people entirely. Until that point, I suspected unreliable narration and perhaps just bad writing, but after my brain melted when the two Will Graysons meet for the first time I thought the twist was brilliant. Had me totally snowed.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'll go out on a limb and suggest that DO describe some aspects of her -
  • Her fingers typing - manicured nails.
  • Her ghost like reflection in the monitor.
  • Shadowy eyes.
Keep her vague, just out of sight, but enough of a description to intrigue.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I think how well this works could depend very much on the POV. Whose POV(s) are you telling the story from?Will try to add some other thoughts when I have time...

Ariel.Williams

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe if it’s written in first person with her point of view you can show her avoiding thinking about her appearance. Like, every time something triggers her to think about it she forces herself to think about something else or do something to distract from the thought. Or she might avoid looking at herself in the mirror, or never wear glasses she needs when she looks in the mirror (I know from personal experience that works wonders ;)).

LadyRedRover

Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a really cool idea and a good reason to hold back on her character description.

In addition to thinking the suggestions above are good ways to handle this, I was wondering why doesn't the MC meet her HEA in real life? Rather than describing what she looks like, he could see her for himself and she wouldn't be able to lie/disconnect from her true appearance. Or, to take that a step further, what if he knows who she is (because of how she talks, mention of where she works/hangs out, etc) and is trying to encourage her to accept herself through her online presence because he already loves her?

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Could you make it a Sci-Fi/Fantasy and have her literally changing her appearance to suit whoever she's talking to? You could make her a character that's constantly changing the colour of her hair in the blink of an eye (always fun) or putting on a dress and thinking it'll suit a more curvy body so she makes herself that way. Maybe when she meets her HEA, her powers fade bit by bit, the more she talks to him and falls for him. Like she tries to add freckles and finds she can't, until slowly her full and real self comes through?

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
Could you make it a Sci-Fi/Fantasy and have her literally changing her appearance to suit whoever she's talking to? You could make her a character that's constantly changing the colour of her hair in the blink of an eye (always fun) or putting on a dress and thinking it'll suit a more curvy body so she makes herself that way. Maybe when she meets her HEA, her powers fade bit by bit, the more she talks to him and falls for him. Like she tries to add freckles and finds she can't, until slowly her full and real self comes through?

I immediately thought about the Magneto / Mystique meme when I read this. :)

I think going SFF is legit but it's a big ask if the author doesn't normally write that genre.

I could see a sort of compromise position between total hiding of the MC's appearance and the idea that she would be comparing herself to all these fantasies. It could be a description by omission sort of challenge, with the MC disappointed each time the fantasy that was asked for diverged from her.

Another possibility (only if you feel you can write this respectfully) is that the MC is trans, and is trying to figure out who her ideal non-dysphoric self should be. Living vicariously through the fantasies. Dysphoria would be a strong enough reason to try to blank out one's actual appearance entirely. In a narrative like this there should still be some description of the MC that shows her struggles with appearance.

The final possibility is to do it as a short story. If you're set on a novel then this is a no-go but I think a short story could sustain the illusion and be forgiven by the reader due to length.