Rich Text Format or Plain Text

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Daily Science Fiction's Story Formatting Guidelines say this:
  • Stories must be submitted as plain text* via our web form. [Snip!] copy and paste it into the form (once you've saved your document as plain text). If a story is accepted for publication, we'll contact you to incorporate any formatting and layout needed.
  • *Plain text means no smart quotes, no curvy apostrophes, no magic ellipses, no clever Microsoft formatting that sometimes makes your story harder to read. If working in Word, save in rtf format, or at least go into File, Options, Advanced, and turn off every "smart" or automated feature that you can.
On my version of Word (The latest one, I think?) I have a save option that says "Rich Text Format", but there's also an save option that says "Plain Text". Having tried saving one copy of my story as Rich Text Format and one copy as Plain Text to figure out the difference, it appears that Rich Text Format isn't taking out any of that formatting stuff DSF doesn't like whereas Plain Text makes it a "text document" file with zero formatting. So, I'm not a tech person and am very confused and don't want to guess and get it wrong and have my story rejected because it looks like I didn't follow instruction. Help? Which save option do I use?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
They gave poor instructions. RTF keeps special "high ascii" characters.

Use the Plain Text version.

I would make sure that there's a blank line between paragraphs before I hit the Submit button on their Web form.