Poetry Challenge - write in a grid!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
A bit of backstory - my workplace has a massive file room, and when I first started working here, I kept forgetting if we were supposed to file in one long row, walking from one end of the room to the other, or if we were supposed to treat each section of shelves like a bookshelf, moving downward before going on.

As a bit of a lark, I decided to write a sign clarifying which was correct, using the shape of the stacks themselves as inspiration. I wanted to create something that, like the stacks themselves, could potentially be read either vertically or horizontally.

After much fiddling, this was the result:

Punctuated for horizontal reading:

If you------------like this-------exercise,

try to browse.-- You won't-----like

the stacks.------Get in your----walking.

Punctuated for vertical reading:

If you---------- like this,------exercise

try to browse-- you won't----(like

the stacks------get in your---walking).

Turns out, it's REALLY difficult to write this way, and my piece isn't the greatest, but it was super fun to create, so I thought I'd issue a challenge to any bored wordsmiths out there.

Write a poem in a grid! Bonus points if the horizontal and vertical interpretations have opposite meanings.

Last edited:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
This is what happens when someone is in lockdown with a 13 year old and a 10 year old and comes across this thread:

Thor ............says.......Iron Man

will ...............like ......to play.

Think, Loki ....get ......Minecraft.

----------

Thor ...........says, .....Iron Man

will .............like, .........to play

think Loki .....get ........Minecraft.

(they're the same words, one punctuated for reading left to right, the other top to bottom.)

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, I love it! I like the formatting too. Imma edit the original post to be more legible.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks :) the editing just happened because spaces didn't work for some reason. So I put full stops in instead. It was a fun challenge :) I understand your one better now you've put the punctuation in both ways :)

I just realised I said right to left when I meant left to right. doh!