Black Lives Matter
Donate to Black Lives Matter via Act Blue
Donate to Community Bail Funds via Act Blue

AW is an Amazon Affiliate and an Amazon UK affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a
voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Changing my fantasy ms into space opera

Threaded View

Changing my fantasy ms into space opera

Hello,

My YA WIP is currently undergoing a rapid shift from high fantasy to light sci-fi. Somewhere along the way it just kept screaming "space opera!" at me, so I ditched the fantasy genre, which I've been writing in for the past six years. Since I'm nowhere near as experienced in sci-fi, I'm having some problems "transposing" the story's map from a fantasy realm to outer space. My original fantasy setting consisted of four continents, each with 3-5 kingdoms. For the space opera makeover, these continents became star systems, each with 3-5 planets. I plan for the four star systems to have no prior contact with one another. Each system is governed by a monarchy that rules all the planets within that system. Most space opera books I've come across feature some sort of Federation or/and interplanetary alliance and especially, an Empire. Would it be too unconventional for mine to be completely devoid of words like "Alliance" and "Empire?" and "Federation?"

Also, will I need to employ "sectors," "quadrants," and FTL travel if it's only going to be four star systems within a single galaxy rather than multiple galaxies?
    Last edited by Emissarius; 05-19-2020 at 05:11 AM.