Introducing myself

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm happy to be here. I hope to learn a little more about the craft of writing and find a few answers to the hard slog of publishing anything.

I'm a fairly old geezer, and a veteran of several online forums. Some of you may remember the old CDFreaks/MyCE forum, where I'm still active as an admin. The writing bug hit me hard about five years ago, with one stubborn, persistent character who demanded that I learn more about him. That led to my first attempt at writing anything of length since my college days, and I finished that first book in record time. I couldn't type fast enough to keep up with the story as it came pouring out. Two more books followed that first one, and after four years of editing, rewriting and frustration, I decided they should exist in the real world, and not just in my computer. I self published them, thinking they probably wouldn't pass inspection any other way.

Since that first burst, I've written a lot more and hope to find a trade publisher eventually for my later works.

Other bits and pieces? I worked in publishing way back when, though I was a lowly copy editor at the time. Since then, I've worked in the oil fields of West Texas, and been a self employed cabinetmaker/furniture designer for many years. If you need information about wood, wood finishing, construction, or something similar, I can probably help.

See you around the forum.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, are we day drinking? Count me in. It's not quite hot enough for gin and tonic, but I'll take one nevertheless, because it looks summer-like, sunny and bright. Plus I have half a lime and what else am I going to do with it?

Welcome to you, Kerry!

Maryn, glad you found us

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Kerry. Question I was noodling through.

Are cabinets and cupboards synonymous?

Does a cabinetmaker make more than cupboards? What is cabinetry?

My character refers to cabinets and cupboards interchangeably, and as her creator I wonder how stupid she is.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I worked in publishing way back when, though I was a lowly copy editor at the time.

:welcome:!

I'm a lowly copy editor at this time to make ends meet, having retired from other pursuits. I passed "fairly old geezer" to "really old geezer" sometime back. In fact, we have a thread in "Office Party" called Old Fart's and Pouffes Bar, Grill, and Hogewey Infirmary, and a few die-hards remain.

Have fun at AW.

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
@Woolybear
A cupboard is a type of cabinet, so it is really a subset of the larger group. Cupboards usually store food, or plates and dishes, and often have little hangers to display the cups. A wardrobe is also a cabinet, but it isn't a cupboard. See? Cabinet is the broader term.

Cabinetmakers take on lots of different projects in woodworking. Some specialize in the installation of kitchen or bathroom cabinets, but the term cabinetmaker is also generally used for those who make custom furniture, which could be stand-alone or built into your home. Cabinetmakers also take on jobs that verge on finish carpentry, like the installation of a bow window and window seat, or making a custom fireplace mantel.

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
@ Salaha Kleb, Maryn and Chase, thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.

Salaha Kleb

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, are we day drinking? Count me in. It's not quite hot enough for gin and tonic, but I'll take one nevertheless, because it looks summer-like, sunny and bright. Plus I have half a lime and what else am I going to do with it?

Welcome to you, Kerry!

Maryn, glad you found us

Well, we might be raising the cup--but how about soda for the last shot?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! In the next life, I plan to do woodwork. It must be beautifully satisfying.