Hey!

anna.quinn

Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm Anna. I'm a nineteen-year-old college student who loves to write so much that my minor is in creative writing. Here are few facts about me.

1. My favorite genre to write is YA fantasy! It's also my favorite genre to read in but I'm looking to branch out more.
2. I've been seriously writing my current WIP for almost two years. However, I've been writing since middle school when I picked up fanfiction and flash fiction with my friends.
3. I have beta read once before for an author and I'm so willing to do it again! As I mentioned above, I have a creative writing minor so I have some experience critiquing in a group setting though it was all short stories. Just tell me what you want from me and I'll do my best!
4. My favorite hobbies are art, reading, and writing. Some of my newer hobbies are exercising, embroidery, and knitting. I've also been wanting to learn to sew/design/make clothes.

That's about it! I'm really excited to join this community and get involved.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Anna!

How are you finding your minor in creative writing? I did a Masters in it and found it did help me start new projects and get inspired, but I feel like I've learned a lot more about the craft after doing the course from books, YouTube and entering competitions.

There's a section on here where you can offer to be a beta reader and people post short stories and extracts for critique in the Share Your Work section.

Hope you enjoy it here!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

anna.quinn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm liking it so far! I can totally see how doing things outside the courses can help, I've been looking into Master Class' for fiction writing, specifically genre fiction. Is there anything you'd recommend that was invaluable to your learning?

Thanks for the tip about the beta reading and critiquing threads! I'm still learning to navigate Absolute Write.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm liking it so far! I can totally see how doing things outside the courses can help, I've been looking into Master Class' for fiction writing, specifically genre fiction. Is there anything you'd recommend that was invaluable to your learning?

Thanks for the tip about the beta reading and critiquing threads! I'm still learning to navigate Absolute Write.

Glad you're enjoying your course! I hope I didn't seem too negative about mine as it was a positive experience in general, and definitely try to make as much use out of in person group critique that these kind of classes are great for. I'm just so surprised by how much technical information is out there on storytelling and editing a novel, and not to mention the how to query etc. that was all lacking in my course. Focus was a bit more on exploring genres, which is good too. Just novel writing is such a huge task that I think listening to authors explaining their process can be really useful. Some indie authors have YouTube channels that show all the good, the bad and the ugly of what writing a novel can be like and I really appreciate things like that.

Ruby Road

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gheltebridle.wixsite.com
Hello Anna! I'm also a college student picking up some new hobbies. How has your semester been?

I'm majoring in philosophy. Not really sure what I want out of it, just general interest. Might do a dual degree in some kind of science.

I've been thinking about doing a minor. Did you need to apply for yours?

anna.quinn

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Anna! I'm also a college student picking up some new hobbies. How has your semester been?

I'm majoring in philosophy. Not really sure what I want out of it, just general interest. Might do a dual degree in some kind of science.

I've been thinking about doing a minor. Did you need to apply for yours?

Given how it was turned upside down, I adjusted pretty well! I didn't have to apply for my minor, but I did for my major because I switched halfway through my freshman year. It could be that because my original major was in the same college as my minor I didn't need to apply since I hadn't officially switched when I declared it.

How are you liking philosophy? I've been looking at taking a course or two in it as some electives. Which ones would you recommend just in general?

anna.quinn

Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying your course! I hope I didn't seem too negative about mine as it was a positive experience in general, and definitely try to make as much use out of in person group critique that these kind of classes are great for. I'm just so surprised by how much technical information is out there on storytelling and editing a novel, and not to mention the how to query etc. that was all lacking in my course. Focus was a bit more on exploring genres, which is good too. Just novel writing is such a huge task that I think listening to authors explaining their process can be really useful. Some indie authors have YouTube channels that show all the good, the bad and the ugly of what writing a novel can be like and I really appreciate things like that.

You didn't seem negative at all! I've found my courses lacking in the general how-to of publishing and writing a novel, a lot of my actual writing classes are based around short stories and general craft. I think it's helped me that way but I definitely keep up with authors in the genre I write in and read a lot of their advice on publishing and writing. There's so much I didn't know before I really dove into it online which I wish would be talked about more in my coursework.

Ruby Road

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gheltebridle.wixsite.com
Given how it was turned upside down, I adjusted pretty well! I didn't have to apply for my minor, but I did for my major because I switched halfway through my freshman year. It could be that because my original major was in the same college as my minor I didn't need to apply since I hadn't officially switched when I declared it.

How are you liking philosophy? I've been looking at taking a course or two in it as some electives. Which ones would you recommend just in general?

I like it so far, but tracking requirements are low. Took two courses and knocking out gen ed, so I can't say much. I've taken intro to phi, which had a big unit on determinism and freewill. Really interesting unit.

Then I took contemporary moral issues, which glossed over ethics and had big units on abortion and animal rights. Struggled with this class a lot, but liked it more towards the end. Right now I'm taking logic, which focuses on building logical arguments and using symbols. Kind of like a cross between philosophy and math.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Anna. This is a great place to grow.