Pages keeps losing my place

MarlynnOfMany

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maralynnjohnstone.com
This is a minor problem, but irritating: I updated my Mac to Catalina, and now when I open a Pages document, it starts at the first page instead of leaving the cursor where I left off. I'm editing a novel, and it's aggravating to have to find the place I was working each time.

Any ideas? Another friend with the same setup can't replicate the problem. Thanks!

Catalina 10.15.4
Pages 10.0
MacBook Pro 13", mid 2012

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I confess to being baffled myself.

Does this behavior hold true for any Pages document?

Can you make a new document with some random text, and test?

RBEmerson

Believes own press releases
Registered
Reaction score
If it's "I've got it, my buddy doesn't have it", it might be an obscure setting causing problems. Or there's another app that's getting in the way. I'm assuming any document you run through Pages fails - is that the case? What about starting from a blank document? One filled with "The quick brown fox", or any meaningless text?

For the first item send your settings back to >all< of the defaults. Uninstall and re-install if you must. For the latter, compare what your machine has with a machine that doesn't have the problem.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I tried, and it did the same thing! Incredibly weird. I assumed it was an intentional change, but no one else seems to have the same problem.

What I'd like you to do is create a new User Account via macOS System Preferences, in the Apple menu.

It doesn't need to be an Admin account, and it's just for testing purposes; you can delete it later.

Go to Preferences, then Users and Groups, click the padlock on the lower left, then click the + sign above to create a new account; name it Temp or whatever you want, give it a password, etc.

Then restart, log on to that account, and see if the same thing occurs.