Late on my 2020 resolution

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! New member here.

I've been writing for a long time, mostly short stories, a few of which I've had published and those have tended to be in the Sci-Fi/Surreal Mystery kind of genres. Of course I've really always wanted to finish a book and - turning 30 this year - it has become my goal to have an actual manuscript finished. The End are surely the best two words a writer can write.

The novel I'm working on is a YA Fantasy (aren't they always?) and I've just started using Scrivener - finding that software super helpful. I don't know if anyone else is using that? Not promoting it, I'm just on the free trial at the moment and depending on how my motivation is I vary from Word to pen and paper as well. Whatever gets the words out!

Interested to know if there are any other short story enthusiasts and how they find moving into longer works? For me, I'm a sprinter, this marathon I'm not sure I can do on my own so I'm hoping I can find some support on here. I love editing work myself so also hoping I can be of use to others.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I'm hardly ever first to greet a new arrival. Glad to see you joined up!

I used to write short stories and sold some. The leap to novels in the same genre did not work for me, alas. But I switched genres and manage to muddle along, so there's that.

Anyone who enjoys editing might find themselves real popular at the Share Your Work (SYW) board for any genre they write. You need 50 posts to put your own work up, but you can offer feedback on other people's work immediately. (And they'll feel like they owe you, some of them anyway.)

Maryn, wondering who tracked all this mud on the welcome mat

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

hjrey

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks both of you for the welcome!

I think I'll probably do some critique work to start. I'm still way off having anything finished to read myself and I enjoy reading other people's work :)