Too many projects? Can't focus on latest one.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having trouble concentrating on a particular project whenever I sit down to work on it. The project in question is my NaNo from last year. I finished the first draft in November and I've read through it a couple of times since, making small changes. With so much extra free time due to the current troubles, I figured I could finally give it an in-depth dissection and start revising/rewriting where needed. But every time I sit down to look at it with an editorial eye, even when I have a strong idea of the changes I'd like to make... I just can't change any words on the page or find the motivation to focus on it. It's like the project itself feels distant, and so many other things go through my head when I try to work on it, primarily details about my other projects.

For context, I also have two other MS's in my "current projects" folder. One, I'm currently querying, and another that I'm awaiting a beta reader's feedback for. When the need has arisen to address one of these other projects, I've done so without difficulty. Tweaking the query or sample pages based on SYW feedback for project#1 hasn't been an issue. And I didn't have any trouble focusing on project#2 after the first round of beta comments.

I still believe I'm interested in the 2019 NaNo project. When I re-read it recently, taking 'inventory' of possible areas for improvement, I had quite a bit of fun, and I think the project has legs. And yet, I still have difficulties making any changes based on those revision notes. Aside from that recent, early May re-read, I hadn't touched it in months so I thought I'd put enough distance between myself and it to look at it with fresh eyes and fresh interest. A month or so is usually enough for me.

It's a specific kind of writer's block that I haven't had before. I've also never written so much in my life (a new MS every year, basically), so maybe this block is a side effect of that? Am I rambling and overreacting, or is this a common thing for other writers? Have you encountered anything similar in your work and how did you overcome it, if at all?

Kolta

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a similar problem recently. For me, it was that my project was at a stage where it needed to evolve into something else entirely, which is why I was going nowhere with revisions for a while. I worked on a few other ideas, got back some of my momentum and revisited the project with an entirely new plot combining two other WIPs that had previously stalled and a new main character. But the initial 'spark' that had attracted me to the project is still there at the very heart of it.

Maybe your project doesn't need such a drastic change, but see if you're allowing it enough breathing room and that it's not being held back by those revision notes. Maybe it's ready to change into something else.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Fiender

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yeah, I've been there. Kind of there right now with one WIP, while I'm finalizing revisions on another. I keep bouncing to a third,= that doesn't even have a plot yet, but I have a few scenes sharp in my mind, and it's easier to write those than to wrestle with the issues of the other two (the unfinished MS in particular).

For me, there's always a reason I don't want to work on the MS in front of me, although it's sometimes elusive. Sometimes I'm losing interest, but I don't want to admit it (sunk cost fallacy is a biggie for me). Sometimes I'm frustrated with my progress, or with how it's coming out. Sometimes I'm just writing it wrong, and until I recognize how to write it properly, working on it is painful and slow. Sometimes impostor syndrome is quietly but relentlessly screaming in the back of my head. :) But even if I only see it in retrospect, there's always a why.

It's also worth noting "the current troubles" are presenting psychological blocks to a lot of people. Don't discount the effect external events may be having on your workflow. Be patient with yourself. There's a lot going on right now.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
I think the problem would be worse for someone with a hard deadline, but I (almost) never have those.

I do have this problem a lot though, not least as I am always working on multiple projects, so I simply work on whichever one most takes my interest at any point.

Also, I very frequently get to a point about 80% into the draft where I have to put the story aside for a while to think about how I'm going to tie all the threads together. But once I have a draft I will usually stay focused on that until the editing is complete.

I guess it is a kind of writer's block, but far better than the block that prevents any page at all from being written on.