Does THIS sentence work? If not, please fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Shelby's driving compulsion was to avenge her dead parents, whose catamaran was torpedoed by a Russian submarine while they were on vacation.

I'm thinking "while they were on vacation" might be a little too far removed from "parents." I don't know, though. Does it work as is?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shelby's driving compulsion was to avenge her dead parents, whose catamaran was torpedoed by a Russian submarine while they were on vacation.

I'm thinking "while they were on vacation" might be a little too far removed from "parents." I don't know, though. Does it work as is?
I'm not going to try to "fix" it - that's the writer's job - but it doesn't work for me because I feel like I'm getting too many hugely important facts in one breath, as it were. So I skim all of them and end up not caring that Shelby has a driving ambition, that that revolves around an act of revenge, that her parents have been ?murdered, that their boat was torpedoed or why, or who torpedoed it - or even where Shelby's parents went on their last vacation together and if they feel it was worth the fare, all things considered.

Unless you were writing (now that I think of it) a gloriously straight-faced massive satire of a specific genre novel, it's too much, too quickly, and too early. And much too casually.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This really isn't the right forum for this; try the appropariate SYW subforum or possibly brainstorming standbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.