Hello, everyone! Working on familiarizing myself with the format.

Khalia

Registered
Reaction score
My name is Khalia and I'm a newbie writer. I started wring more frequently in March 2019 when I randomly opened my laptop one day and started writing a mystery story. I'm on my fourth draft with 77,000 words. But, I put the story aside and I' m currently focusing on another WIP, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Haha! As of right now, I'm writing for fun, but I'm opened to independent publishing once I feel more confident in writing stories. I hope I will get a chance to meet some new people and share my thoughts along the way. Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Khalia

Last edited:

Busy_Sample

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! You sound like me. I randomly opened my laptop three years ago and busted out over 300k words without having a clue what I was doing. I've been revising the same book since. Learned a lot and cried a lot.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Khalia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Busy_Sample:

Thank you! 300k is a lot. Do you have a specific genre you like to write or are you testing the waters? What is your book about?

Busy_Sample

Registered
Reaction score
Well it ended up being over 500k before I finally stopped and attempted to let someone else read it....cringe. I didn't know it at the time, but I was writing a dystopian fantasy. So I guess I write dystopian novels because I'm still trying to write the same book. It's set in the future of America where society has devolved into something like medieval times. Kings rule by divine right. The main character is a soldier appointed as servant to a prince. He's got depression and PTSD so he fights his own internal demons including self image while he battles external foes to keep the Prince safe. (Someone is trying to kill the prince.)

Mine's a mystery too so lol. What's yours about? I'm curious now what kind of things just pop into people's heads.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Just so you know, if getting familiar with the format referred to AbsoluteWrite itself, the FAQs are waiting for you. Every question you have is probably answered there, in plain language even I could understand.)

Welcome to you!

Maryn, well short of a tech person

Khalia

Registered
Reaction score
(Just so you know, if getting familiar with the format referred to AbsoluteWrite itself, the FAQs are waiting for you. Every question you have is probably answered there, in plain language even I could understand.)

Welcome to you!

Maryn, well short of a tech person

Yes, it was about understanding the format. I did some digging, but still have ways to go.

Thanks, Maryn

Khalia

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Busy_Sample:

Sorry this is a few days late, I was working on my current writing project, which I'm still trying to figure that one out. I was working on it this past week, so I didn't get a chance to respond to post sooner. My first manuscript is a YA mystery novel about a young girl who investigates who murdered her best friend and why. As she starts to dig into her friend's murder, she discovers her friend may have been murdered in order to cover up a secret. It's a pretty generic idea about what the story is about. I'm still working on my elevator pitch. Your story sounds very interesting.